What's that on my plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niksoper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just noticed this sort of fungus or parasites or something on one of the plants in my tank. The plants have been in the tank for about 6 weeks and in that time I've lost all of my danios and minnows (x6 of each).

I'm by no means certain that this stuff has anything to do with the deaths but I think I should get rid of the plant.

Can anyone identify the problem? It's on the leaf near the top of the plant in the middle of the picture.

Attachments

• image-3730497671.jpg
    image-3730497671.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 95
I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It is probably just some algae growth, I wouldn't worry about it.

What are the water parameters?

Also, how long of a lighting cycle do you have?

I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary either. A little algae and plants are showing early signs of some nutrient deficiencies. What fertilizer are you using?

Oh no it doesn't show up on that photo. I think the image might get compressed when you upload so here is a link to hopefully a clearer picture:

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

I'm talking about the little spore-like things one one of the leaves near the top (the leaf is kind of lying horizontal).

Ahh I see what you're talking about now. That's hair algae that's growing on your plant.

Is that anything to worry about?

I've taken that leaf out now since I don't really want it to build up. I don't really have a lighting régime; some days it can be on for 12 hours and other days it doesn't go on at all. We just put the light on when we're I the room really.

hair algae is nothing to be worried about, just unpleasing to the eyes. there're ways to get rid of it, for example you can dip the plants in peroxide. but you need to start dosing some fertilizers or upgrade the substrate because your plants are showing signs of nutrient deficiency. that's why you're seeing holes developing on the leaves of your plants. if your fish died, then you should do a thorough check on the water parameters and/or tank setup before adding anymore fish.

You need to put your light on a timer so it gets a set running time. Do 6 hours until your algae problem is fixed then slowly up it to 8 hours max. Stop upping time if you begin to see algae forming again.

If your seeing pinholes in leaves that gradually grow in size then you have a potassium deficiency. All you need to do is get and use something like Seachem Flourish Comprehensive 1x week after WC's. This will help a lot.

That plant had all the holes in it when I bought it and I just didn't notice until it was in the tank.

I've git rid of it now since it wasn't looking great and I wondered if it had contributed to my dying fish.

I don't think that stuff on the leaf was hair algae though. We were away for two weeks so the tank was untouched and when we got back there were these little things all over the glass, much like what was on that leaf. I think they are hydra because they look like little anemones.

Here is a pic:

image-1956798189.jpg

Are these harmless to fish? I've just put three new minnows in.

That isn't a hydra and honestly I'm not sure what it is. In over 30 years in the hobby I've never seen anything like that. Honestly I'd remove them from the tank.

You are correct. Those are hydras and they aren't good for your tank.

Apparently things like gourami, apistogramma, some snails, and a few other types of carnivorous fish will eat them.

You might also try excel dosing or lemon juice dosing turning off the filter, waiting a few minutes, and squirting the excel or lemon juice on them and letting it sit for 5 minutes or so before turning the filter back on.

That isn't a hydra and honestly I'm not sure what it is. In over 30 years in the hobby I've never seen anything like that. Honestly I'd remove them from the tank.

I think shes talking about the white things stuck to the glass not the giant crazy white spiny ball thing :)

The little tiny things on the glass are hydras but what the heck is the big white spiny thing?

If you only have a few hydra's hydrogen peroxide squirted on the kills them but if you have a lot you will have to treat the tank.

The big white spiny thing is a plastic decoration. I call it the lily :)

Peroxide doesn't sound good for fish to me. Won't it harm them?

Nah, a light spot dosing of hydrogen peroxide wont hurt anything. It's really commonly used to fix some problems in aquariums.

If you only have a few hydras then you need a syringe and Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. You can only use 3-5ml of peroxide per 10g daily. Once you figure out how much you can use pull that up in a syringe, put the syringe right up to the hydra and give it a squirt. After treating all the hydra's suck them up with the empty syringe. BUT you probably have more than you see so you best look good on everything. If you have a lot I suggest treating your entire tank.

Hydrogen peroxide used in it's proper dosage is used for spot treating algae and is perfectly safe.

So I just wiped them off the glass and took a few out of the gravel and off a rock. It's been a couple of days now and I can't see any so with a bit of luck I won't see too many more.

Back
Top Bottom