Which 'Weeds' Will do Well in Low Light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will need to plant some 'weeds' in my new tank to hopefully stop algae before it starts. I would like to know what plants will do well in my other tank which has 1wpg and DIY CO2?
I don't like the idea of just throwing these 'weeds' away after i have finished with them so i thought that i might be able to use them in my other tank.

The other tank has mainly crypts but also an anubias barteri, java moss, java fern and i think some form of hygro. The tank isn't great for plants at all really and the shade tolerant plants are doing the best. I plan to get hold of some hygro polysperma as a 'weed' but would this be ok in my other low light tank? Also how would Vallis do?

TIA

Hygro will do fine in a 1wpg CO2 injected tank. It definitely loves the high light high fert tanks, but I've had some clippings in my 10gallon tank with stock hood lighting and it hasn't melted away like I thought it would.

What else can i use to soak up the nutrients?
I know that Elodea Densa and Wisteria are good one's but i don't really like the look of them so i don't want to plant them in my other tank.
What about Vallis is it a good nutrient sponge? I don't think it will do well in my other tank though will it?
Also I read that Hornwort never roots? Surely the stem will rot in the substrate?

I need some tall background plants for my other tank, i was hoping for 2 types of plants that would do well but i suppose a bunch of hygro polysperma would look ok if all else fails. :)

Anacharis should do fine too. But another thing to remember, in a tank with DIY CO2 and low light, if your CO2 levels are fluctuating, or are low, you will also get algae that way. It's recommended to stay above 25ppm, but I prefer 35ppm-50ppm.

I don't really want any anacharis or elodea densa (same thing arent they?) in my tanks, i may buy some as a nutrient sponge but i then don't want to just chuck it out. I could use it in the goldfish biorb i suppose, although it would probably be gone in a couple of weeks!

LWB - I've never had any algae problems in my established tank. It may be down to my 4" BN Pleco i've caught her doing the night run and she goes round the whole tank, top to bottom. I can see some algae on the back of the tank but only when there's light on it or i catch it at the right spot.
I do need another bottle for CO2 though, that would help keep the levels more constant.

I am concerned with the fact that hornwort never roots. :?

If you don't want a plant after it's done its job, put it on the plant exchange.

Hornwort actually does better if left to float and not jammed in the substrate. At least in my experience, it loses fewer leaves if floating, and they have a finer texture. If you need a low light nutrient sponge, hornwort is it. I have some in a tank with just ambient light from the room, does great.

Back
Top Bottom