White fuzz on java moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Java moss is a few weeks old and is getting some brown patches (those parts are not in the shade) and I am also seeing some white fuzz.

I did research the white fuzz but didn't find any definitive answer on what causes it. Some said it's roots, some said it's algae, some said it's what happens when java moss dies so it's just dead parts.

I am hoping the experts here can tell me which of these is the case!

Any idea re the white fuzz?

Also why is it going brown in places when it's directly under the lights?

I'll post a pic shortly.

Here's all the tank info:

Fish: guppies, mollies, cories, sword tail, dwarf gouramis, neon tetras.

Lights: 2x54w T5HO, 2x17w regular flourescent (ones that came with the tank). On for approx 8-9 hours a day.

Ferts/glut: Flourish Comp twice a week. Excel twice a week. Flourish Potassium Twice a week.

Feeding: quality flake, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, freeze dried blood worms, fresh veggies when I have time.

Water changes: about 40% weekly.

Oh sorry! I thought that was there. 60g long. New photo period is 3 hours on 2 off 4 on as I am trying to control some BBA that has cropped up.

I've been told by others that my light is the low side of medium. It's 2.3 wpg but the tank is 24" high so due to the height par at the bottom won't be high. Maybe around 35 I believe. I use 5ml excel daily. Just bought metricide but still have some excel left.

That said the moss is closer to the light because its on a piece of wood. U think the problem is the light?

Normally, moss will get on wood no matter the amount of light. When I used to have wood, moss and algae would cover the whole wood. What I would suggest is to take the wood out of the water and either scrub the algae and white fuzz off, or boil it in hot water killing all the algae

Normally, moss will get on wood no matter the amount of light. When I used to have wood, moss and algae would cover the whole wood. What I would suggest is to take the wood out of the water and either scrub the algae and white fuzz off, or boil it in hot water killing all the algae

Just to clarify, I only started dosing excel daily a few days ago. I realized I wasn't doing it enough as other plants were showing issues too. Do you think that by dosing excel daily that will get rid of it?

I am not sure how to scrub it off or boil it. You mean pull the moss off the wood and boil it? Wouldn't that also kill the moss?

Many thanks for the help by the way....!

You can look up things like "preparing wood for aquarium", now if you want to keep he java moss and only get rid of the "white fuzz", take the moss of the wood. Scrub the white fuzz off with a scrubber or a sponge. In then, boil the wood (look up videos) and after put on your java moss again and there you go. ;)

You can look up things like "preparing wood for aquarium", now if you want to keep he java moss and only get rid of the "white fuzz", take the moss of the wood. Scrub the white fuzz off with a scrubber or a sponge. In then, boil the wood (look up videos) and after put on your java moss again and there you go. ;)

Oh I see. Gotcha, thanks. Didn't realize you meant only boil the wood! Only thing is I am not sure that I can as it's not real wood - it's from petsmart and I don't think it's actually wood so not sure what would happen.

I also just saw a post saying you can spot treat it with a syringe with excel or hydrogen peroxide so I might try that first and if that doesn't work then I'll do the boil method.

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom