Why do these look so bad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Why do these look like they are in such bad shape? They seem to be all withering up.

10g155.jpg

Lonewolfblue said:
Why do these look like they are in such bad shape? They seem to be all withering up.

10g155.jpg
i assume that you have all your ducks in a row as far as Ferts, CO2 and lights... so I will not insult you by asking for the full rundown :D

how old are they? are they grown from clippings? it is possible that they have just reached the end of their life cycle, i do not know if re-planting clippings makes a plant live forever...

Just a thought....

as a side note i notice your digital Thermometer probe does not stick anymore either :roll:

It's actually the mother plant that I've been taking clippings off of. I'm thinking of pulling the whole plant and clip off some of the withered stems and replant, and see if I can ring back some of the withered stems. It's directly under a 25W CF bulb, and I'm running all my ferts as well as CO2 to the intake of the Whisper 5-15 filter.

Actually, it does stick, when I clean the algae off the glass. But not really well, lol. I just haven't re-stuck it on, lol.

I believe you use EI LWB. To me, the plants just look as if they are suffering from inconsistant nutrients, CO2, and/or PWC's.
I grow that plant off and on, I will say is is one of those stem plants that prefers to be "pulled" when it hits the top of the tank. You then trim the growing tip, and all the side branches and replant them all as new plants. If the older growth if left too long it can get like that, especially if there is a pleco in the tank.
Perhaps, tow the line for a few weeks on EI, and up the nutrient levels accross the board a bit, and do thise PWC's. Esp, up the CO2 if you can (is this tank still on DIY?). Also, pull them all, cut and replant any healthy growing tips, toss the rest.

Lonewolfblue said:
It's actually the mother plant that I've been taking clippings off of. I'm thinking of pulling the whole plant and clip off some of the withered stems and replant, and see if I can ring back some of the withered stems. It's directly under a 25W CF bulb, and I'm running all my ferts as well as CO2 to the intake of the Whisper 5-15 filter.
if it is the mother plants then, perhapes she has reached the end of her life :cry: try and salvage as many clippings as you can IMO
Actually, it does stick, when I clean the algae off the glass. But not really well, lol. I just haven't re-stuck it on, lol.
oh, maybe just mine sux (well actualy the oposite :? lol)

Zezmo said:
I believe you use EI LWB. To me, the plants just look as if they are suffering from inconsistant nutrients, CO2, and/or PWC's.
I grow that plant off and on, I will say is is one of those stem plants that prefers to be "pulled" when it hits the top of the tank. You then trim the growing tip, and all the side branches and replant them all as new plants. If the older growth if left too long it can get like that, especially if there is a pleco in the tank.
Perhaps, tow the line for a few weeks on EI, and up the nutrient levels accross the board a bit, and do thise PWC's. Esp, up the CO2 if you can (is this tank still on DIY?). Also, pull them all, cut and replant any healthy growing tips, toss the rest.

Yup, I'm dosing EI and have actually increased my dosing just a tad. Was starting to see a little algae, but it's going away now. As for CO2, it's pressurized. I have 3-way manifolds on my CO2 tanks. I haven't actually checked my CO2 levels, as everything else seems to be in check, growing well, and very minimal algae if any. I also do a 50% PWC weekly.

It looks a little leggy so I am going to guess lighting might be the problem.

I can't tell for sure what it is but my Ammannia is leggy and not doing well since it transitioned and I think it is because of the lighting. Maybe it just needs a little more light that the other plants. Could be why the tops look so good and the lower parts are suffering like my ammannia.

I pulled it, and took off as many decent stems as I could, and spread them out a little. I also took 3 stems and placed in my 75G, to see how they do as well. Will see......

Back
Top Bottom