Will guppies and tetras jump out of aquarium ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asohfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My aquarium is a 50g with an inbuilt heater in the filter. Presently it's still summer here and the room temperature gets very hot. The aquarium is suppose to have a net temp of about 27 so i set my heater to about 26. But i realised that because of room temperature and also maybe the heat from the lights, my temp reading is almost 30 ! So i was thinking of maybe taking the top of the aquarium off. The top has 3 compartments. I could take 2 off and leave the middle(which contains the lights) but was worried if the fishes will jump out at night. Also, are there some techniques of maintaining a specific temperature during summer ?

yes they will jump, you can cool the water by doing a small water change but you don't want to drop the temp more than 2 degrees at a time

Ive never heard of tetras or guppies jumping. Ive not kept guppies, but i keep ember tetras, neon tetras and rummy nose tetras in a fully open topped aquarium and have never gad a jumper in the entire year ive kept them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have guppies in a 20 long with no top on it and they have never jumped. I have neons in a 29 gallon with no top and they have never jumped. I have had baby mollies jump though at feeding time. Little buggers jumped at my fingers to get the food and right out of the tank. LOL

My tanks are set at 77 degrees but heat up to around 80 with the lights on. No tank inhabitant has shown any ill effects. I have all kinds of snails, mollies, guppies, and tetras. I did loose my shrimp though. My ghost shrimp babies got eaten by the fish faster than they could reproduce and the old ones died off. My blue pearls got eaten too. Temp may have had something to do with the die out too.

My neons have jumped out of my 20 long but it's pretty shallow. I think you'd be fine with the 50 though.

Will jump if predatory or other fish make scary or fast moves.

Occasionally will have a jumper. Usually I think it is due to a need for a fish to breed or just being startled, and occasionally it is due to poor water quality. Though probably not a problem. I wouldn't put any priceless fish into an open top tank, but Tetras and the like I wouldn't worry.

I've had some of my favorite male guppies jump and die, only to find them months later on my floor. That was in a ten with very little space so that definitely affected it.

I have been breeding and raising Guppies for about 4 years now and have never personally had any jump out of the tank or attempt to. Now my Bala sharks on the other hand haha. That is not to say that they cant though. I personally like to keep my water levels a little lower than recommended as long as the filter can still function properly to allow for extra bubbles and O2 as well as a greater barrier between jumping fish and the lid of the tank.
These are only my own personal preferences and experiences but I hope they help. :)

Back
Top Bottom