Will LED lights support plant life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doubtful that LED will help. Low light plants will probably be ok, but only if they are ok with the ambient light. IMHO, that tank is too small even for a betta. Some of the reviewers seem to be real fish killing idiots. JMHO of course.

I would save the twenty dollars and put it towards a five gallon betta tank....

That tank is way too small ....

LED's are not ready for prime time at the moment ... not bright enough and they lose something like 90% of the light output after just a short time ... so even though they are rated at 20000 hrs, they are really only good for maybe 200. <US gov't just nailed Lights of America for misleading advertisement on LED light output & rated life ....> So basically, the LED's are just barely bright enough for you to see the fish with, and I doubt it will do anything for plants. <And they get dim really quick...>

That tank is way too small ....

LED's are not ready for prime time at the moment ... not bright enough and they lose something like 90% of the light output after just a short time ... so even though they are rated at 20000 hrs, they are really only good for maybe 200. <US gov't just nailed Lights of America for misleading advertisement on LED light output & rated life ....> So basically, the LED's are just barely bright enough for you to see the fish with, and I doubt it will do anything for plants. <And they get dim really quick...>

I guess you didn't read the whole article... some company's are misleading what their products can do while others are living up to and beyond their promises. All it shows is that you need to do your research before you buy. Most of the statements you made apply only to some of the worst of the LED company's. Lights of America was the poster child for this article because their products are crap.

There are LEDs out there that will support plants, but you won't find them in a 1.5g kit. Save your cash and get something larger. 1.5g is good for shrimp and live food and that's about it.

1.5 gallons is not enough for any fish. I see it as animal cruelty! Unless its very temporary. Petsmart sells a 10 gallon tank by itself for $13-$14 bucks. Thats a good starter tank.

I have had 2 neon tetras in that exact tank for 1 1/2 years. Plus a tiger snail. I also know the light is 9 watts.

a betta will be fine in that tank. and that light is surprisingly bright. all the way lowered you can support java fern, anubius and moss balls.

I have had 2 neon tetras in that exact tank for 1 1/2 years. Plus a tiger snail. I also know the light is 9 watts.

Just because they can survive doesn't mean they will thrive. Tetra should be kept in a larger group and require swimming room.

a betta will be fine in that tank. and that light is surprisingly bright. all the way lowered you can support java fern, anubius and moss balls.

See above. "Brightness" is a terrible measure of light for aquatic plants. They need the proper usable spectrum and level.

HN1 said:
Just because they can survive doesn't mean they will thrive. Tetra should be kept in a larger group and require swimming room.

See above. "Brightness" is a terrible measure of light for aquatic plants. They need the proper usable spectrum and level.

I do know this. I have had one of these and they grew the plants listed even some bunch plants. I was using bright as a general wrap about it all

Mine grew Anacharis fine. I've used the 1.5g for 3 Harlequin Rasboras for 2 yrs. They've moved to a 5g. They are over 5 yrs old now and try to spawn after water changes. But eggs get eaten.

I was trying to see if it would work. Not the ideal of course.

I've used them for Bettas. Mine is about 2yrs old now. He's currently helping me cycle a 10g

1.5g is ok for Cherry Shrimp. Some moss and Java Fern and they should be fine. Mine I don't use a heater.

Back
Top Bottom