Wintering Pond Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aveldina

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
I've got a 36G aquarium that I'm waiting for the fishless cycle to complete and has a couple of plants in it. My mother has asked if I could attempt to keep a couple of her pond plants over the winter in the aquarium. She's got water lettuce, parrot's feather and a couple of green small leaf floating plants (I believe one is duckweed, unsure about the other). She only needs a small amount kept over to re-introduce the plants in the spring. I live in sask, canada so the plants would need to be kept from mid september until mid may as normal winter weather is -30C's here. (Her fat, 12" long goldfish are also coming indoors right about now.)

Has anyone had any experience keeping these plants in a tropical aquarium and could offer some advice? Do they keep well? Any suggestions regarding lighting, water quality, etc? Do I need to be concerned about them taking over my aquarium? How about water levels? Has anyone kept Parrot's Feather, floating or submerged?
Thanks! :)

I currently keep Water Lettuce in my 10 gallon and it does quite well. The plants will be smaller in the aquarium than out in the pond, but other than that they should do well since they are floaters and close to the light.

Back
Top Bottom