WOO HOO!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping me set up my planted tank. Its a 10g with an ac150(i used the filter foams from another already cycled tank), and a 2*13 pc because i couldn't find the 9w. I bought a piece of hornwort because it was all I could afford last night to give my betta some cover, and also used aquarium gravel rather than sand because i liked the look of the one i found. I also bought 3 black neon tetras and an ADF. I was going to get panda cories instead of the tetras but they were 8.99 each and i couldn't afford them. Would they still work in my tank if i can find them cheaper or would there be another alternative? I also was wondering if these plants would work in my tank Wisteria(Hygrophila difformis), Amazon Sword Plant(Echinodorus amazonicus), Anacharis(Egeria densa), Moneywort(Bacopa monnieri), Java Fern(Microsorum pteropus), Rotala Indica(Rotala indica), anubias nana, Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia Repens), java moss. Also if my plants get to big do i just cut them with scissors. Finally, will this lighting blind my fish, i just turned it on since they have been in the tank and they are swimming somewhat weirdly. As always thanks again and sorry for such a long post.

Most of those plants will do just fine under your lighting but I wouldn't recommend the amazon sword (they get much too large for a 10G tank), and I'm not sure whether the R. indica requires CO2 or not, I've never kept it.

Trimming stem plants is fairly straight-forward - just cut the tops and either replant them (they'll sprout new roots) or leave the existing stems to put out new branches. You might want to do some more research on the particular stem plants you've got to find out if there are any specific requirements for trimming them.

Trimming the other plants (Java fern, Anubias, etc.) is a bit different. You can simply remove the older leaves (replanting not an option here). Java ferns will put out plantlets on the tips of old leaves which can be replanted and will grow into adult plants.

And don't worry about the lighting, your fish will get used to it. Just make sure to run it no more than 12 hours a day for best plant growth results :)

Thank you. Do you think i should get any type of fertilizer or anything?

Back
Top Bottom