Would u pay ten bucks for one stem of Hygrophila?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robert H

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would u pay ten bucks for one stem of Hygrophila?

Hygrophila pinnatifida is one of the coolest looking stem plants I have ever seen, and even though it has been kicking around the internet for a little while now, it is still pretty new, and in the USA the only way to buy it is from other hobbyists, but they are selling it for anywhere from 10 to 20 bucks a stem!! Meanwhile people outside the USA, mainly Europe, can buy it freely for 2 or 3 dollars for a whole pot or bundle of stems!

So would you pay ten bucks or more for one stem? Here is an article about the plant:

There is a new plant in town: Hygrophila pinnatifida

photo by Oliver Knott

Hygrophila pinnatifida was announced at the end of 2010 by Tropica Plants of Denmark, and has been making its way around Europe and other parts of the world ever since. It is starting to hit the USA by hobbyists trading amoung themselves. It may start to be imported into the USA within the next year or so.
Hygrophila pinnatifida is native to India. The leaves are a brown/green on the top side with a distinctive burgundy red underneath. Stems produce side shoots that may be propagated and the tops may be trimmed to promote more compact growth. Red coloring becomes more intense under strong light and elevated C02 . Growth is slow to moderate, making the plant easy to manage in the aquarium.
It is the combination of the leaf shape and color that gives this stem plant such a distinctive and unique look and has aquascapers so excited. Some people have described the leaves as looking “fern like”... Read the rest of the article HERE

I wouldn't , but I know more than a few people who would. I would wait until it becomes more readily available; I am frugal (some would say cheap).

I hear you! My friend, Joshua Wiegert who is a writer for Aquarium Fish International magazine and lives in Baltimore, told me just last week at his clubs auction, one eight inch stem went for over 30 dollars! Thats just insane!

It's a cool plant, but it'll come down in price eventually. RCS did the same thing. A few years ago $7-$8 a shrimp wasn't uncommon. Now ~$1 a shrimp is the going rate. I'll wait. I'm cheap and proud of it.

It is a really cool looking plant, but I'm with the others...I'm cheap and I will have to wait until the price comes down. More people will grow it and the price will go down in no time. :)

I especially like the way its used in the first pic above.

I just got some H. pinnatifida of recently in a trade. I hadn't heard of it before but didn't know it was that new to the hobby. Myself, being a plant hoarder, would pay ten bucks for a stem lol. It's a neat plant so far.

Not a chance, especially since hygro is headed towards the federal invasive list. I know a few strains are on it already.

I agree with you WhiteDevil, I wouldn't want to buy it and not be able to sell the trimmings to recoup some of the money. Lots of hygro is already on the federal noxious weed list and I'm sure it will end up on there also.

Not a chance, especially since hygro is headed towards the federal invasive list. I know a few strains are on it already.

That is really not true at all. The only hygro specie that is out right banned in the USA is polysperma, and this plant unlike other hygros grows very slowly. I have the federal noxious weed list right here in front of me. I sold plants for ten years...

Good news! Florida Aquatic Nurseries, the largest plant farm in the USA who supplies 90% of all aquarium stores in the USA is now producing this plant and selling it by the bunch of 8 to 10 stems, which should retail for around 4 or 5 dollars per BUNCH. These big bunches are about 10 inches or more tall!

I will be giving it away for free on one of my upcoming radio show episodes.

Back
Top Bottom