Feather fin squeaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TidBitz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Scientific name:: Synodontis eupterus
Also known as: feather fin catfish, Feather fin syno.
Family:: Catfish, mochokidae
Growth:: In wild- 12 inches (30cm)
In Tank- 8-8.7 inches (20-22 cm)
Life span:: 15-20 years
PH:: 6.2-7.5 .......DH:: 4-15
Temperature:: 72°F-79°F (22°C-26°C)
Breeding:: egg layer, unknown in a captive Tank.
Origins:: Central Africa, White Nile
Feeding Habits: Omnivorous, earth worms, black worms, flake foods, cucumbers.
NAME ORIGIN:: Greek, Meaning:: close tooth beautiful butterfly due to the bottom of the mouth having teeth close together and the beauty of the dorsal fin growing out many extensions from the spines.
DESCRIPTION:: YOUNG::resemble the colour pattern of a giraffe. This breed of catfish has the most drastic colour change in the catfish world. ADULT:: Grey background with black dots. Fins will have darker and lighter stripes resembling a zebra. Whisker on the mouth and smooth skin. When feeling threatened or caught they can let out a squeaking sound ( DON'T PURPOSELY DO THIS). Males are more slender as females are more bulky.
TANK SETUP:: I would not have them in any less than a 45 to 55 gallon tank, they prefer a long tank and will probably hide all the time once bigger if they don't have the travel room. Sand preferably due to soft body, they also like sifting through sand for food. They need caves to retreat to during the day, which they will turn upside down in until coming out at night. They accommodate to a variety different water conditions and are hardy. They can be a bully to a tank mate they don't like (I have not noticed this on any size fish) but are relatively peaceful. Due to their protective spike fin they can hold their own when harassed. Gets along well with other bottom dwellers, this catfish is also a mid swimmer and mid drifter. Rumor is this fish won't let a live plant live but from my experience none of them are bothered, one may be pulled up due to their size but not damaged.

ForumRunner_20121229_163936.jpg

Hey there. I have one of these little guys and I love it! My problem is it never comes out. I love it when he does but it's only for a few seconds and goes back into the rocks. I've caught him a few times out at night when it's dark but as soon as there is a little light he goes back in. Is this normal behavior for these catfish or does mine just need time to adjust. I've had him for like three weeks already and he's in a tank with some Mbunas.

jilarrea this is totally normal, my Featherfin Squeaker does the same, he only comes out at night or for food, I think he's just lazy ^_^ this isn't the best picture but he loves sitting like this XD he's so fat because he eats all the little fish :(

Attachments

• 1398197630629.jpg
    1398197630629.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 372
Back
Top Bottom