Bottom feeders for a ten gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, does anybody know about any good bottom feeders for a ten gallon? I was hoping maybe a loach, but those seem to get pretty big. I was also thinking about cories, but I already plan to have those in my new 29 gallon, and was looking for something different. I know pretty much all plecos will get too big for it... Unless there's some exotic one I don't know about. This is after I finish cycling the ten of course, but eventually, it'll have to go with this stocking:
2 mollies
2 ADF's
2 guppies?
1 male betta
Any suggestions on my stocking and the bottom feeder will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

No they are considered algea eaters a good bottom feeder for this tank would be pygmy corydoras. A group of 3-4 is perfect for you tank, also the male betta nad guppy may not get along because they both have free flowing fins and the fighting fish can get annoyed. So i think just get either the guppy or betta.

That stocking seems a little off to me. The mollies get pretty big for a 10 gallon and will eventually need brackish water. The betta may fight the guppies. I would personally keep just the betta and 3 ADF's, or a betta and 6 neon tetras or ember tetras.

Some bottom feeders could be 3 kuli loaches, 6 pygmy cory cats (there are so many different species of CC's that you could differ your 29 gallon from these), 6 amano shrimp, 5-12 cherry shrimp, or 5-12 ghost shrimp.

If you get the kuli loaches or pygmy cory cats make sure you have either sand or smooth gravel. If you get shrimp, make sure they have a place to hide from the betta, like a nice bunch of java moss or a small cave (like a small terra cotta pot) that the betta can't fit in.

You could also get a zebra snail, although they aren't bottom feeders, it would eat leftover food. Oto cats are little sucker fish but they are very sensitive and need 30 gallons for a group of 3.

Mollies are found in nature in both freshwater and brackish environments. There was a big thread just recently about this. That was one of the few things agreed upon.
I do think that it's fully stocked as is, not to mention if they reproduce. If the betta won't eat them, you could get some shrimp.

I agree that pygmy cories would be great. I also agree that mollies need a bigger tank. The question of brackish or not, that's not something I care to get in on today.

Ya, I thought they needed a bigger tank too, but I when I started a thread about it... They all said a ten would be great. Hmmm... I like the Otto idea, and the khuli loaches.I'm just gonna keep the mollies freshwater, and probably put them in the 29 gallon I'm about to get... But I don't know if I'd be overstocking...
4 orange laser cories
5 black skirt tetras
5 long fin zebra danios
2 Bolivian rams
1 keyhole cichlid
1 starlight BN pleco
Would I if I added the two mollies? And maybe instead of male guppies, I could do females, less ( flowy ?) but I could still get babies. Sorry for all the questions... And the long post...

If you get a male/female pair of bolivians they will chase other fish when breeding. You might want to either stick with one or have them as the only bottom dweller. Also, the cichlids (keyhole and bolivian) will claim territory on the bottom of the tank so you might want to skip the cories altogether. With those fish I would probably do:

6 blackskirt tetras
2 bolivian rams
1 starlight bn pleco
3 mollies
1 keyhole cichlid

Holy ****, just read this. It was an answer on yahoo answers for "bottom feeders for a ten gallon" I nearly fainted:

a pleco

they won't get that big in a 10 gallon and they do an EXCELLENT job. also, it isn't necesarry for them to have their own flake food. they are sort of leopard spotted and really cool looking. I have had quite a few and they live for a long time.

Source(s):

my tank

Answer by Jen C 3 years ago Report Abuse
0% 0 Votes

Tropical said:
If you get a male/female pair of bolivians they will attack other fish when breeding. You might want to either stick with one or have them as the only bottom dweller. Also, the cichlids (keyhole and bolivian) will claim territory on the bottom of the tank so you might want to skip the cories altogether. With those fish I would probably do:

6 blackskirt tetras
2 bolivian rams
1 starlight bn pleco
3 mollies
1 keyhole cichlid

Why no danios? In that case, I'll probably just take out one Bolivian, and just do a female Bolivian, a keyhole, the black skirts, hopefully the danios, the pleco, and the cories. With 2 mollies of course. I forgot to mention that I will be over filtering quite a bit.... 75 gallon filter.

I just think the dianos are too active. It's not really about the tank capasity, but I think the danios might annoy the cichlids. Also, I persoanlly prefer to keep 1 school of fish in smaller tanks just because there is more emphasis and it looks nicer.

Tropical said:
I just think the dianos are too active. It's not really about the tank capasity, but I think the danios might annoy the cichlids. Also, I persoanlly prefer to keep 1 school of fish in smaller tanks just because there is more emphasis and it looks nicer.

I like all the activity... And I think itd be good for the cichlids to have a bit of a target fish... Ya know, a fish that is fast enough to evade capture, but bothers the bigger fish just enough to keep the others out of harms way.

I agree but I think danios are way to cramped in a 10 gal....they are fast and need room to swim...lol :) good luck with your tank

Cobaltskyy said:
I agree but I think danios are way to cramped in a 10 gal....they are fast and need room to swim...lol :) good luck with your tank

That was for the 29. ;)

Back
Top Bottom