How many african cichlids can i fit in my 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First off, I am new to this website forum and would like to say hello. I do have a tank and some fish. I have a 55 gallon tank with a filter, 2 heaters and a long waterfall aerator. I have 2 African cichlids in there with a pleco that is approximately 8-10 inch. I was wondering what other fish I could maybe put In their or how many more cichlids I could have?

It depends what kind of cichlids you have in there now!

I stated above I have 2 African cichlids in my tank already along with a large pleco

It really depends on what species of A.Cichlids you have now. Some are not compatable with others. If you can tell us your present species we can help you decide what you can get.

Where I bought them didn't say what specific African cichlids it was so I can't say more then that because i don't know.

Maybe you could post a picture ofthem? There are many people who are very knowledgeable who could tellyou what you have.

I'd say I'd agree with what Was said before. The one with the spot is the OB and the plain red/orange one is the regular.

Ok we'll I bought them together and they were in the same tank at the pet store and they act fine together. But what other kind of fish can I mix with them?

Ok we'll I bought them together and they were in the same tank at the pet store and they act fine together. But what other kind of fish can I mix with them?

Read threw the article I posted above it will help you more now to read it then what can be said in one short paragraph here. Here's a couple little quick notes
-Just because they are put together in stores doesn't mean they can be together long term. A little research on your part looking up fish "profiles" will go a long way. Note the aggression behavior and size of each one.

-You should only stock lake Malawi mbuna with mbuna.
- you should only stock them if they don't reach over 5".
- only mild aggressive should be stocked together or aggressive together and so on and so on.

Back
Top Bottom