I've done a Bad Thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amaranth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all, let me say hello. I've been a member here for a while, but I lurk far more than I post. Now, on to the post!

Today I got a few new inhabitants for my 10 gallon. For a few weeks the only little guy living in there was a particularly brave ghost shrimp who was the sole survivor of an experiment with my betta (results? The betta doesn't like shrimp...). Now he's living with a school of pygmy cories and a few new sunkist shrimp. I'm so excited for these guys!

I absolutely love cory cats, and I've wanted pygmies for a while now. As it turns out, the LFS stocks them pretty regularly now. After a few months of off and on research (with some real life stuff thrown in as well), I've finally gotten my little school of seven. They're just the most active and adorable little fish I've ever had. Within five minutes of being introduced to the tank, they were all over the place, digging through the sand and investigating the driftwood and plants. For such tiny fish, they sure have a lot of personality.

Where the Bad Thing comes in is with the sunkist shrimp. I had been planning on getting some RCS to brighten the tank up a bit. I like that they don't have a larval stage and seem to breed readily in healthy tanks, as well as look quite pretty. But when I got to the store, there were these beautiful bright orange creatures staring at me from the tank where the RCS had been. With some sharp prodding from my friend, and some information from one of the employees, I bought a little group of sunkist. This is bad for me because I greatly prefer to research animals before I get them and I know very little about these guys. But they're very pretty and everyone seems to be getting along just fine for now!

Does anyone else have experience with sunkist/cardinia propinqua? From what I've found they don't seem to be much different from other shrimp (offspring have a larval stage, need brackish water for repro, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom