The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christhefish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So ive recently gotten into this hobby and im at a total loss. Ive got a blue gourami and my cory cat and pleco died today.....
I got my water levels perfect before i bought fish. I spent 4 months getting my tank perfect before adding life, it cycled several times before it was ready to add life. So i added three fish and 2 have died. I had amonia start showing but it was the slightest amount and it wont go away. Ive added bacteiria and amonia neutralizer but my gourami and my java are both at a loss of color. My gourami is just kinda sitting on the bottom of the tank and has not eatin in two days. He does occasionally swim to the top for a gulp of air but he seems to be suffering from the amonia.. please HELP??? I have no idea what to do to get this back on track. Its a 20 gallon tank with a 15w light PH is low to mid 7s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm having a similar problem with my Molly's. I moved some fish to my hospital tank and the ones in there are fine but the main tank is still having issues.

How often are you changing out your water?

So ive recently gotten into this hobby and im at a total loss. Ive got a blue gourami and my cory cat and pleco died today.....
I got my water levels perfect before i bought fish. I spent 4 months getting my tank perfect before adding life, it cycled several times before it was ready to add life. So i added three fish and 2 have died. I had amonia start showing but it was the slightest amount and it wont go away. Ive added bacteiria and amonia neutralizer but my gourami and my java are both at a loss of color. My gourami is just kinda sitting on the bottom of the tank and has not eatin in two days. He does occasionally swim to the top for a gulp of air but he seems to be suffering from the amonia.. please HELP??? I have no idea what to do to get this back on track. Its a 20 gallon tank with a 15w light PH is low to mid 7s.

Hi there and welcome to AA.
Can you tell me what are you using as your biological media meaning something to hold your good bacteria after it has been cycled and if you do have something already my suggestions would be To do some big water changes this will help reduce your ammonia also there is a product on the market You can get rid of ammonia to, but going back to basics it does sound like you haven't cycled your tank probably and is the main reason why you have ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, I'm surprised that this happened in a fully cycled tank. How long after putting them in the tank did they die? If it was within a day or so, shock could be one reason. What process did you follow to introduce them into the tank? And similar to the other reply, tell us more about your filter media, gravel etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 20gal tank with a quiteflow 20-30gal water filter. The firdt fish died within the first night which was the pleco. The pleco was doing just fine the whole day but died sometime in the middle of the night. We have a opaline gourami that went in with the firdt batch of fish and he is actually doing much better now. When we first put the gourami in there he was great then about 6 hours later he stsrted just sitting on the bottom and not eating. He is doing great now and has been for about a week. He stsrted to seem depressed with no tank mates tho so yesterday i added a green severum. Both fish are doing exelent but my tank still seems to be unstable. I dont have anything holding the good bacteria other than the filter and maybe the water sprite. All the java moss died btw....
The gourami is doing much better now that he has a tank mate but i know the amonia is coming now that i have added another fish. What should i get to hold the good bescteria and how do i make the bacteria stronger?

When adding the new fish i put the bag (with the fish in it) in the water for 20 minutes so that they could afjust to the temperture. After that i tore the bag open and added 15% of our water into the bag and let the fish sit for 15 minutes then poured a bit of the water out of the bag and added 20% of our water and let him sit for 15 more minutes. I repeated that process till it was about 90% of our water letting him sit 15 minutes in between chsnges. I do a 10% water change in the tank every two weeks or so

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to get the fish pretty large then i will set up my 65gallon tank but i want the to be pretty big first.

Back
Top Bottom