Plain and Simple - Help. Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadtrek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased my salt water tank from craigslist, this being my first tank with a sump attached ( and never actually seeign one in person before ) - I shoudl have asked more questions , but I didnt.

I figured as long as I have all pieces , I shoudl be able to figure out how to set this up - I was wrong.

I have NO clue how to set up the protein skimmer , from the pieces I have -- I cant figure out how its supposed to be.

There was a tub of sand in the sump , but I have no clue - if the protein skimmer pump is supposed to go on it. - or for that matter - does the top of the skimmer stay above or below the water line....

So basically -- Help. I did take some pics , I hope they show my dilema.

Thanks in advance

I also - could not figure out , how to post 5 pics ( just the one below ) -- so i had to give you this link ( sry about that )
Pictures by fishman703 - Photobucket

img_951098_0_4af63182344727bde90e6d6ac66511e5.jpg

Looks like a homemade skimmer using a Gen-X pump. I wouldn't expect very good performance from it. Basically, just make sure the pump is underwater and turn it on. It looks like you may have to give the pump a 1/4 turn so the elbo is underwater. If the white pieces of pipe move, sliding it up or down is how it would be adjusted.
The tray of sand has nothing to do with the skimmer.

Smitty , thanks for posting the rest of the pictures - well I figured it out :) helps if you attach the pump the proper way ...

Back
Top Bottom