Ammonia in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Was going to do a big PWC on a FOWLR today, but I noticed the tap water reading nearly 1.0 for ammonia.

This was tested after using tap water conditioner from aquarium pharmaceuticals and after SG was set.

Besides using a RO/DI filter, what can I do to eliminate the ammonia from my tap? I don't want to use ammo-loc, which I understand just temporarily suspends the ammonia is a safer state (skewing water tests as well), only to release it later...

I have two - both have always been the same. Normally its 0.5 from the tap (from both kits).

Might take a sample to the LPS to test, but I think the results are right.

I'd have the water company do a site visit. I'm not one to know about municipal services, but with my limited knowledge, I'd be VERY concerned about that. I'd be thinking there was something that died in my water supply.

Today its at zero (tested after conditioner and salt mixed in). Tested yesterday after conditioner and salt were mixed, and it was 1.0. Interesting thing is that this is from two different faucets (about 10 feet apart). Going to bo back and test other other tap. The one which I now realize is reading higher is used a lot (where I've been getting all my tank water, a big utility sink in a laundry room).

My test kit is trustable I think, I have an ammonia badge alert, and my tank water, which tests at zero, matches the alert indicator (which shows safe). I have a second test kit which shows the same results every time.

Tested both hot and cold sides - 1.0 for both.

Got this from my water company online:

Disinfection: Chlorine is added in precise amounts through automatic feeders. Chlorine destroys bacteria and ensures the health of our community. As required by law, a small quantity of fluoride is added to help prevent tooth decay.
We also add chloramines (a combination of chlorine and ammonia) in the disinfection stage to reduce disinfection by-products.

Chloraminated water is safe for warm-blooded animals, including humans, to drink because the digestive process neutralizes chloramine before it reaches the bloodstream. Dialysis centers and hospitals neutralize chloramines prior to their treatment processes.

Chloraminated water is toxic to cold-blooded animals, such as fish, because these animals absorb or take water directly into their bloodstreams, bypassing the digestive process. People with aquariums need to pretreat the water to remove chloramine with products from pet and fish supply stores.

Is my test kit picking up the chloramines as ammonia? Their water test report doesn't list ammonia or chloramines.

Back
Top Bottom