AquaTricia 40 gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My suggestion would be to buy and research the kind of fish or coral you like, instead of trying to stock up the tank.

Sorry I couldn't read up all 20 pages but if you are still talking about the 40g tank then your choices are limited. I personally went from one gold fish in a 5g tank to 10, 26, 55, 75 now and maybe going for 300 next in my basement.

Pick what you like and get the tanks for them.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is some wiggle room I believe, as this is a tool for your use. A kole tang is a good example of this. It is recommended to be in a 75 gallon. But what is a 75 gallon but a wider 55? There isn't much I disagree with from them. I want to say some of the dwarf angel tank sizes are the same...like the coral beauty and flame angel might be up to 75 requirements when it used to be 40.

Another thing, never go by the tank size those LFS used. They are always tight and too small for long term.

I meant the tank that they had the fish in. Lots of people see the fish they like and often in small size tank and thinking to themselves thats the tank size they need.

No, Toffee, I go to the LFS with some knowledge and my IPad. What info I don't know, and can't find, is how many fish you can put in at a time. I'm not sure if my LFS gave me the right info with the number of chromis in an empty, newly cycled tank.
And Sniperhank, in your opinion, if LiveAquaria says 55 gallon, can I safely go with 55 or maybe even 70 if I stock lightly?

Oh, that's great. You made my day. I'm not as limited as I thought. I never did plan on cramming the fish in there, so by stocking fairly lightly, I should be able to get some nice fish.
I think I will cancel the order for the mimic filefish to allow room for others. I'll have to think on that.
Can I put more than one type of anthias in the same tank? (Bartlett's and Fathead) or just stick with one.
How about wrasses (MsCoskers and Carpenter)? They're both flashers, so probably not.
Stocking list so far:
Coral beauty
Midas blenny
Chalk bass
Sunrise dottyback
And the anthias and wrasse

How does this sound? And not in this order. You'll have to help me with that when we nail everything down. Thanx.

My suggestion would be to buy and research the kind of fish or coral you like, instead of trying to stock up the tank.

Sorry I couldn't read up all 20 pages but if you are still talking about the 40g tank then your choices are limited. I personally went from one gold fish in a 5g tank to 10, 26, 55, 75 now and maybe going for 300 next in my basement.

Pick what you like and get the tanks for them.

Hi again, Toffee. I am researching my butt off, and asking questions on this forum to back up that research. No corals as this is a FOWLR. I already have a 28g reef, overstocked with corals but only 4 fish, a tuxedo urchin, brittle star and various snails. So I wanted this 40b to be easier to care for and allow for some awesome fish. It is the last tank I can get as I also have 4 freshwater and have run out of room.
As far as when I stock, I am going very slowly. The LFS I use suggested three Chromis in a newly cycled tank. Now I think that was too many at once because all three died within a week and a half. I also got nitrites back. So other than a cleaner shrimp and some diatoms, there have been no fish in there for two weeks. I'm working on a stocking list now, to determine compatibility and stocking order. It will be six months to a year before I complete stocking.

So, Sniperhank (and anyone else that wants to add his/her two cents worth) what about the fish for the stocking list? Mainly, can I add both flashers? Are the anthias I chose all right for a 40b and can I put both of them in the tank? What order would the correct fish go in? I really appreciate all your help.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hm, I'm not really sure. I don't know much about flasher wrasse to say about their aggression, but I don't think I'd want to put two different types for the fear of such.
I would go off the same with the anthias as not knowing the kind of space they need, besides knowing you need to add them all at the same time and that they'll figure out pecking order where one will become the male, one dominant female, and the rest subordinate females.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think I have the stocking list and order done. On LiveAquaria, I found a Red Head Solon Wrasse. I fell in love. I will contact my local LFS to see if they have one or could order it and the cost. Then will determine if I should order from LiveAquaria. This will go in first. Then a Midas blenny. I will also get some cerinths and banded trochus to finish clearing up the diatoms. After the blenny, I will add three chalk bass, then a sunrise dottyback, after that a bartlett's anthias and, at the end of the line, a coral beauty.
Does all this sound about right? Anything I'm missing? I couldn't find anywhere that there would be a stocking issue. A little nervous about the anthias. Opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If this is still the 40 gallon, the anthias will need a tank double that size. Same for the red headed fairy wrasse. But with the fish you are listing I want to say you must be looking at a larger tank now at this point and I'm just not aware of it...or that it is midnight and a good night's sleep will do me some good.
So, I'll assume this is a 90 now? If so, that is a nice stock list.

No, I'm afraid it's still the 40. I was really concerned with the anthias, but I was hoping I could get away with the wrasse since I'm not stocking heavy. Don"t think so, huh? Well, I was trying to get color, not using really small fish, and something to highlight the tank, you know, a showpiece. The tank is now understocked IMO, so I need to search for that one fish...
BTW, how do you do this forum, at midnight, and still work a job? I was never able to do something like that. Hope you got some sleep.

Midas blenny, 3 chalk bass, sunrise dottyback are all great choices.
The other 3 are recommended to be in a 75 or greater. Normally, I will disagree with some of the 75 recs, since it is usually just a wider 55. But to further cut that area down in space puts things into further issue. Then with 3 of them being put into such cramped space will lead to issues, be it bullying, parameter issues...either way it results in dead fish and there isn't any need to act and become frustrated over that.
So, my suggestion would be to get started with the fish that you like that will work. That way things can continue to mature in your system and you will figure out what a final fish can be somehow. If I had a nickle for everytime I walked into a fish and simply 'had to have it'. Wrasses are usually like that for me with their color.

Yeah, I know you're right. I will stick to what you recommend, and will keep searching, within those limits, for THAT fish. Your opinion; do you think I can go back and try some more chromis, or just drop that idea completely? This time, I wouldn't add them first, as they are damsels. And I will be more careful with water paramenters. Your opinion is valuable to me, so I will follow it. Thanks.:thanks:

What was your issue about Chromis? Killing each other off? I have heard that from others. I know they shoal somewhat, but what is your idea about one? Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom