BIO BALLS QUESTION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelskii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i jes decided to finally use a wet/dry filter for my 54 corner aquarium...what kind of bio balls are best to use?? 1inch 1.25 inch? blue? black? gray??
and why?? thanks

I suggest you use LR rubble instead. I have bio balls in my fuge and I`m getting ready to replace them with LR rubble. Bio balls are linked to high nitrates but can be kept in check if you do frequent PWC`s.

melosu58 said:
I suggest you use LR rubble instead. I have bio balls in my fuge and I`m getting ready to replace them with LR rubble. Bio balls are linked to high nitrates but can be kept in check if you do frequent PWC`s.
I agree. I have found that filter sponges and biowheels do it as well.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I agree with mel and roka, LR rubble is much better biological media then are bioballs. They key is that rubble does best when completely submerged, as opposed to bioballs that have water "trickled" over them...hence the term "wet/dry" filter. NO3 removing bacteria does better in an anaerobic (without oxygen) environment so submerging the rubble is the best option. Getting LR rubble is easy. Some LFS sell it by the pound or you can just ask yours for the left over small pieces of broken rock in the shipping boxes. Just make sure you cure it before adding it to the tank.

Couls I replace my ceramic rings in my XP2 canister Filter with LR rubble? Would it be enough? It would prpbably only hold about 2 cups total!

The more surface area you have the better. If you do it, which you can, I would crush it up pretty well. Keep in mind, you should still rinse it in your old SW when you do your PWC.

Cheap nylon pot scrubbers!!! (remove the little metal rings that hold 'em together).

squawkbert said:
Cheap nylon pot scrubbers!!! (remove the little metal rings that hold 'em together).

Huh? Can you elaborate? do you mean to use this as a filter media?

Even if its a small amount?
You bet. I purchased a second HOB nano filter from Red Sea for my pico just to put a few small chunks of LR rubble in it. It all makes a difference.

squawkbert is probably referring to that item, since it had a lot of surface area for bacteria to propigate. This is a cheaper solution than the LR or base rock. It is a good idea, I would like to know if squak has nitrAtes build often or not. I imagine as long as you rinse it in old SW, you should be good to go. Please correct me if I am assuming the wrong thing.

Rinsing in FW tap will destroy the good bacteria. Using the old SW will allow you clean off the detritus and reserve the bacteria.

I agree, use the old SW so the FW rinse doesn't kill off the nitrifying bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom