Combining tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpaparazzo

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys

I hae a 75g fowlr tank going pretty good now for a couple of months. it has 2 clowns, 3 chromis, some snails and crabs..I have about 50lbs of live rock and 50lbs of base rock which is now looking like the liverock...

My daughter has a little mini 12gallon eclipse with 10lbs of live rock and 10'lbs of base rock..2 snails no fish...We want to tear down the 12g and move over the live rock from the little tank to the 75g and also move the 2 snails aclimating them slowly....Is there any problems with doing this..The only thing Im skeptikal is that there is a red slime outbreak in the 12g tank and I want to treat it but if I bring the rock over with any red slime will that cause an outbreak in my 75g...Also anything I should do to the rock before i bring it in?

Thanks for the help

Tony

Because of the low bio load of the LR in the smaller tank it will pretty much be devoid of organics. In which case I'd consider it no different than buying 10lbs of cured LR from your fish store. I'd put it in your 75 and be done with it. Maybe check ammonia a few times over the first few days.

If cyano is growing all over the LR in the smaller tank it might already be just inert rock with little biological benefit. In that case a rinse off in fresh water should clean it of the cyano.

Back
Top Bottom