Cowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vickietory

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've done some research on the behavior of these fish, but was unable to find out anything on why they spit out of the water. It's cute to watch them do this, but I wasn't sure if it's a behavior I should be concerned about. Does anyone know why they do this?

My cowfish is about 4 inches long and the booger just bit me and drew blood. I was trying to catch a damsel so I can move it to another tank, and the cowfish snuck up behind me and bit my finger! I was completely shocked!!!!!! So be careful, they can draw blood!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I believe they spit out of water to hit prey. In the wild they will spit at say a frog or bug on a branch or weed overhanging the water. This usually knocks the unsuspecting critter off into the water where it is then devoured. I don't know if this is the fish you r talking about though, but there is a fish that does do this to catch its food. Can't remember it's name though LOL Maybe someone else will know for sure.

Archerfish have a habit of doing this. I'm not sure how if Cowfish do it for the same reasons.

Back
Top Bottom