Does cyano stain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering if anyone had cyano on thier LR and it stained them red. I had a bad outbreak until I switched to RO/DI and it covered a few of my rocks. Now that the cyano has gone away, the rocks have a lot of red still on them. I have corelline algea covering the red spots now, so it's not too big of a deal.

Don't think so. I had a couple of very bad outbreaks of Cyano and never "stained". I do have a lot of red good algae on my rocks though....

Shoot, perhaps I still have the cyano then. Luckily, the coralline is overtaking it.

Shoot, perhaps I still have the cyano then. Luckily, the coralline is overtaking it.
No, the red stain is the first stage of your coralline algae growing in. Kind of a dark ruby red color. Like on this rock showing lots of my mini brittlestars.
img_1032754_0_ebbbdb5c18bf1709967bbe14fc8ea84f.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent! I've noticed a huge improvement in my tank since switching to RODI water. I've been changing it out with every water change weekly.

Would anyone suggest just taking all of the water out and switching it to with distilled water, or is it better to do it little bit by little bit?

Just do your regular PWC and over time it will switch it out and your water quality will get better.

Thanks for the help everyone. Switching to RODI water has done wonders for my tank. The coralline algae is popping up everywhere and my inverts are looking great. Everything seems more active.

There is one odd thing though. I had a small frag of xenia. When I did the first PWC with the RODI water, the xenia seemed to melt away and die within the first day. Other than that casualty, everything has improved.

Xenia's are funny and don't seem to like very clean water.

Back
Top Bottom