Established SW, change to new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjazz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gal SW only tank. established for over a year. I want to change out my Aqueon hanging filter for a new Fluval Aqua Clear hanging filter. I'm afraid to change to the new filter all at once. I don't have the room to run both filters at once. Where or how should I place the old filter media into the new Fluval?
Much thanks for any advice as the Fluval set up is new to me.

If the tanks been established for a year and you have live rock and sand in there the hob filter doesn't really have that much bacteria comparatively. Especially the aqueons with just the cartridges.

It's probably fine to just switch it over completely as long as there is rock and sand in the system

No live rock or live sand, Just a SW fish only tank.

In that case I'd definitely switch the media over. I'm a little confused on how the tanks setup as live rock should be your main filtration even in fish only systems. Do you have a pic of the tank?

I took a pic but unsure how to upload since it doesn't have a url.
My LFS closed and I'mm sort of on my own. Petco the only store that carries SW supplies is useless for info & Help. But I thought I need to cure live rock & do extensive things to it before using. And have special lighting etc.

See if this worked

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 139
The rock in that tank is most def porous enough to have an established bacteria base to keep the livestock alive. There is no need for the media from the old unit.

The white coral is real but the rest is decor. Although it is coated with algae.

3 damsels, 1 firefish, 1 dwarf coral beauty, 3 chromis, 1 mandarin dragonette and a couple of hermit crabs

I'd love to get rid of the spot damsel but I can't catch him. lol I have not had many problems with keeping fish, but don't want to mess things up when I change to the new filter.
So am i able to buy live rock and add it to my tank??

Well, for starters lets just hit the brake on things.
Keep the filter media going so there is as much bacteria in this system as humanly possible.
Switching out the fake decor for live rock really isn't going to be a drastic difference at this point. Actual porous rock will give more area for bacteria to grow, but unless there are ammonia or nitrite readings in the system then everything has equaled out. You can add more rock to your tank pretty much at anytime.
The more pressing concern would be all the fish in the system, the coral beauty being one that needs a much larger tank to survive in. In the long term there will be issues even though they have not happened yet. Since you only have a local Petco like myself, returns aren't an option. Your best bet would be to upgrade the tank down the line. This would then open up for upgrades inside the tank, like getting yourself some macro/base rock so that it can become established and 'live'.

I wasn't suggesting changing out the decor just adding a piece or 2 of Live Rock. All my nitrates, nitrates, ammonia, salt, ph and alkaline are at perfect levels. I keep them in check.

removal of media in filter would really be risky IMO as that resin decor really isn't very pouris . If your adding a new filter add the old media along with new media till the new media is seeded 2/3 weeks.
but if your going to add a few pieces of live rock I would try to get at-least 10 lbs
wait a few weeks than add the new filter that would be the safer way to go
9 fish in a 20g that's way to many , don't take this the wrong way that coral beauty has no business being in that tank as they require a much larger tank . I would think him alone would over load the bio load
I would suggest a bigger tank or re home him .

Last edited:
Thank you for all the info. My coral beauty is very small & doing fine.
I will look into some live rock and when I change the filter I will try to figure out how to fit the old media cartridge into the new filter since they are different shapes.

Back
Top Bottom