Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a 55 gallon long fish tank which I would like to make into a saltwater tank. I have been doing research online and am still unsure of the proper filtration to use. I just started checking out sump filters but are they really the nuts?? I know that this hobby is going to be expensive, but I am very excited about trying to maintain a saltwater tank.

The sump setup seems to be very expensive, is there any other means of good filtration.

TIA
Joe

You have to first decide if you want FO, FOWLR, or Reef. Most folks go with LR/LS and a good protein skimmer.

Well I would like to start with a FOWLR, and someday Reef migrate to a reef tank...if possible. And of course someday I would like to have a sump but for now i'd like to find out what my alternatives are.

For FOWLR you can rely on the LR as your biological filter as long as your have 1-2lbs per gallon. If you want to use a canister filter for GAC or other chemical media you could, but I would save my money and get a good protein skimmer and a HOB for mechanical filtration. Wet Dry's and undergravel filters are no longer viable options IMO, but there are some aquarists still using them successfully.

Back
Top Bottom