FOWLR Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyCraft

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g with about 60lbs. of LR. I have had it set-up for about 5 weeks now and and all is well. There are two damsels in there now and they are currently "adjusting" to the new lighting (Current USA 48" 4x65w). I eventually want to stock the tank with a tang of sorts, clowns (2) and a host anemone. I have a small problem with the sand which is the hair like algae. I bought a sand sifter star to try and help with it, but something seems to be wrong with him right now. He is missing half of a leg and I don't know how.

Final q's:
1) What is the easiest anemone to keep in a FOWLR tank that will also pair well with a False Clown Fish (Ocellaris)?
2) Would a Goby help me with the algae on the substrate?
3) What are some other fish that would get along with 2 damsels, 2 clown fish and a tang?

Attachments

• saltwater_198.jpg
    saltwater_198.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 111
1)An anenomie needs to be in a mature tank.Most people say that it should be in a tank of 9-12 months. Newer tanks experience a little instability. I`m wondering if your tank has cycled yet. 2) A goby will sift the substrate but that is only a band aid solution. Need to find out what is causing your algea(excess nutrients). 3) Dwarf angels, Gobies or many other fish.
PS Make sure of your water parameters. Problems with your star fish could mean something is out of wack. If your parameters are OK the leg will grow back. Need anything else just ask

1) What is the easiest anemone to keep in a FOWLR tank that will also pair well with a False Clown Fish (Ocellaris)?

You can't keep an anemone in a tank with parameters for FOWLR. Anemones should be keep in reefs as they are very sensitive. As melosu mentioned, they need stable environment or they will be a pain (trust me :/). If you decide to get one later on, bubble tip anemones are the easiest (of all anemones but still difficult to keep) and they host most clowns.

2) Would a Goby help me with the algae on the substrate?

It wouud help you with the algae on the substrate but you will notice that when the algae on the substrate is gone, another type of algae will appear some other place. It's best you keep your PO4 low (0) than getting a fish/invert/medicine (band-aids) to temporary cure the problem.

What are some other fish that would get along with 2 damsels, 2 clown fish and a tang?

IME... damsels are very agressive toward newcomers. From what i've read, ur damsels will harrass the clownfish and prevent them to pair into a mated pair. Just a head up

HTH

Is that a blue devil and yellow tail damsel? My blue devil is very aggressive.
I would thinkg the tank has been through the cycle, if you have hair algae in there.
melosu58 gave some very good answers. I have ont theing to add about the start, how long did you acclimate it? They are very sensitive to poor water qualities.

WELCOME TO AA!!

Thanks for all the help! Aquarium Adventure sales guy said the same thing which makes me feel better about going there.

P.S. The tank got moved last night. (my arms already ache) Here is an updated picture with the new stand. I like the angle myself.

Attachments

• img_2025_974.jpg
    img_2025_974.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 94
I have a thin layer of slime on the walls of the tank... I am guessing this is from the move although it only took about an hour. Could this mean that something other than amonia, no2, no3, pH or Alk is out of whack?? Are there any good tests that are not included with the Red Sea marine lab?

Can you get a quick pic of the slime? What color is it? You could try testing for PO4, but that test is not included in that test kit.

I am actually at work right now... but the slime makes the glass look cloudy (slightly). I know that I do not have a phosphate test with my kit.

Back
Top Bottom