Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mysticeel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of adding ghost shrimp to my sump tank. They will be used a feeders. I hate all the driving back and forth picking them up once a week :p. I know that ghost shrimp can survive in saltwater tanks and I am not worried about them breeding. My only question is will they survive for long periods of time in my sump tank.

I had them for six months in my sump. Don't know if they can live long periods of time. Mine died when my heater exploded.

your heater exploded...is this something i have to be worried about...6 months is more than long enough ^^

Heaters explode. Some more than others. I have been in hobby 20 years and only had 1 explode. So I wouldnt worry too much.

I have had alot of success in the past keeping ghost shrimp in the sump for over 5 months in a 29 gallon sump.

i just need them to survive for a few weeks :p my lionfish goes crazy for them

From what I understand ghost shrimp breed very well in saltwater...I cannot confirm this :p

Well i catch my ghost shrimp from my dock but I also live next to the ocean, I'm sure they would be fine tho, ghost shrimp are very hardy and multiply fast.

ErrolP said:
Well i catch my ghost shrimp from my dock but I also live next to the ocean, I'm sure they would be fine tho, ghost shrimp are very hardy and multiply fast.

How do you catch them? I live on the water too. I think I may have caught some but not sure.

I use a small fish net and just dip it a bunch, but the dock must not have alot of traffic, or find waterholes in the marsh, I have gotten as many as 30 shrimp in one grab, walked away at the end of the day with around a 1000, fed them in my sump and fed my fish for 3 months.

I can get ghost shrimp from a fish store that's an hour+ away. I used to get them for feeding my FW tank. I am pretty sure they sell them in FW since I always had a couple survive hiding in my plants. Can they be transitioned to SW? I'd love to try to get them to breed in the sump.

i got FW and they have been alive now for 2 weeks...no problems so far...

Back
Top Bottom