Goby disappears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeithFrancis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Rock Moving goby that was new to tank, is yet to surface from live sand. As soon as I dropped him in he shook himself in to the crushed coral and sand! Is it normal I've not seen him reappear? It's been over 24 hrs

all gobies are a bit like that. expect that to happen for the next week or so, just keep an eye out where it's settled with it's home and after a week or so if there's still no sign just drop a bit of food near it's home for it to eat so it doesn't starve

I'd keep my eye in him if I could ever see the little buggar...can he move thru out the substrate perhaps to a different part of the tank?

I wouldn't expect it to burrow through and move around under to sand like a rabbit but if they're a bit shy and new they normally swim around when no one is around to look for a home and stay there for a while. just keep looking around for him and take note for about a week or so, so you know where to try and feed him. once it gets confident it'll be swimming around everywhere and then they're really easy to look after, it's always the first 2 weeks is the hard part to keep them alive and not starve

Ok so I found out where he's hiding. (4" in gravel) by probing thru sand..he thrushes around if disturbed but other than that still no site of him..just a dust storm to dig deeper..I did mark where he is hiding. So a week from now what should I drop in to sand bed to lure him out so he does not starve?

I have a yellow watchman gobie I bought around 3 months ago ,
I thought he was dead as I never see him , seems he likes the back side of the tank better he also got bigger so he most likely hiding in the back like mine

in about a week or so, get some frozen brine and just push it into the sand around where his home is or where hes staying. or use a tuckey baster and just squirt some into the sand where around he is.

Thanks Guys, good tips to know..I will try the turkey Baster and brine if he hasn't surfaced In a week! Sure glad I stumbled upon this app!!!

Well it's been a week :shrugs: no sign of him...I used a plastic rod to probe the bottom and sure enough he's still under there ! My question is will he get enough to eat down there? I'm planning a 20% pwc today but don't want to disturb, suck him out of his hiding spot..He's not a Goby but a rock moving wrasse I was told.

ohhhh a dragon wrasse!!! love those fish. good u got it young, as it grows it has these 2 horns that grow it and when hes all grown up they fall off.

awesome fish, really easy to feed as well.

dont worry about the whole turkey baster thing, this guy will find the food when you pop it into the tank

ohhhh a dragon wrasse!!! love those fish. good u got it young, as it grows it has these 2 horns that grow it and when hes all grown up they fall off.

awesome fish, really easy to feed as well.

dont worry about the whole turkey baster thing, this guy will find the food when you pop it into the tank

Thanks Alco, he is very interesting little creature...I love to watch him grab little rocks and spit them all over, that said I worry in a few years he may try to eat smaller fish like my percula :(
Have you had one? What can ya tell me bout the little fella (who apparently will grow to a ft In the wild)

from experience.... you can never really trust a wrasse lol

they normally get crazy with other newcomer wrasses but not really with other marines.... but needless to say if there's a fish much smaller than it, it may destroy it. I very much doubt it'll get a foot long in your aquarium. if its grown up with the clown I would highly doubt it' will try and eat you clown....

also if your wants corals in the long run.... it may eat them too.

but despite those flaws, it's still an awesome fish.

Back
Top Bottom