Going from 10 to 55 need suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidkameleon3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ya they a 10 gallon is hard. So I tried it for about 2 years.Just use a dual bio wheel and 2x18 50/50 and antic.

Anyway I am moving out my fresh 55 to make way. I have a fluval 404 and the plans for a diy skimmer. I got about 6-7lbs of live rock in my 10 to move and will be getting more.

But other than my duster,white urchin and the small dusters on my live rock (which is doing great) I have had no other inverts or corals.I assume some shrimp and more smalls need to be added, but what about mushrroms and poply? THink they can do well in a 55?

Taking all suggestions

What lighting do you have? Are you planning on adding more LR, if so, how much? Are you planning or do you have a skimmer? Do you see this tank primarily as a reef tank or a FOWLR?

I plan on getting a 4x48" maybe if the price is right and making it fit the canopy. Skimmer ya it is in the works. I am thinking of building one. My fluval 404 is about twice what the tank needs so that will help also.

Just got the hook on a new store that is supposed to have the good stuff.Ya I figure I'll go slow maybe get 10lbs to add to my 6 I have already.Adding more as I see good pieces.

You think that lighting will me good with the right bulbs? And how much does current really play in the tank for inverts?

I wouldn't even consider NO lighting for this tank if you plan to keep any photosynthetic inverts. It can be done, but you'd be much better off to go with PC's or T-5's. If you intend to have a FOWLR tank, you would be OK with the NO lights. It really depends on what you intend to keep. Current isn't such a big deal for shrimp, crabs, ect... It is necessary for corals though. You'll want at least 550 gph in a 55 gal tank...more would be better. How much LR are you planning on? You'll want 80-100lbs if you plan on using it for the biofilter. What kind of substrate are you looking at using? Have you checked into DSB's? There are some good articles here on the site about DSB's and the Berlin system of filtration. You might want to check those out when you have time.

Ya I have been looking into most of what you speak. I finally found the chronic local distributer 10000 gallon + I beleive.

The guys there where speaking of the PC's , I just dont see how 4x48" with the right bulbs would do better than a 2 bulb PC. What do you htink?

As for rock and such.Maybe slow at first buying nice stuff as I see it until I get to about 50+ I would assume.Put some sand down, I use shell in my 10 gallon but algae love it and sand is better anyway.I need to read up on it first as mentioned.

The fluval does about 350gph I think and I already have the nice nice homemade compact prefilter skimmer in the works. A Brita home filtration not being used will be modified to do both:)

I got my a nice ass colony poply yesterday while at the store.Maybe I should post a pic

Huh, I tried twice and can't seem to get it to post my other pictures is there a pic cap for new members?

kidkameleon3 said:
The guys there where speaking of the PC's , I just dont see how 4x48" with the right bulbs would do better than a 2 bulb PC. What do you htink?

Not exactly sure what you mean here...the 48" NO bulbs are not nearly as intense as the PC's and therefore will not penetrate as far into the water. You can keep some of the less demanding soft corals under NO lights, but why spend the money for them when you can go with PC's for close to the same money? Then you can keep most softies, shrooms, zoanthids, and other corals that don't have super high light requirements.

I got my a nice ass colony poply yesterday while at the store.Maybe I should post a pic

I'm assuming you meant "a nice assorted colony"?
Pic looks good. There is a size limit on pics. I think it's 100k? Check the photo forum for a sticky post with info on posting pics and size limits.

I'll post pic after work it was the best oen I think it shows live rock based red dusters that just started from the rock a few months ago.

AS for the lights, I'll see how much my set up will run today that way I'll know how much the diff for comparible PC will be.

Thanx for all the helps

Just my .02, my 55 gallon has 1216 gallons of flow.

When considering lighting requirments you are looking for Wattage I use 4X55 watt Power Compact and that is really not enough for most corals

What is the wattage of the 4 48" lights you are speaking of?

bump

ok I did some math on the lighting situation. i can get 2x2 48" fixtures for $8 a piece.PC maybe $150-200 for around 200w of light. The bulbs are half the price also as PC.

Thanx for correcting my naming of the colony. I am just getting into the fun side as all I have had for 2 years is a few damsels and some live rock

bulbs are 40w

ya seems to be , maybe start with 4x48" then add 2 more later if needed. I know it isn't as bright of a light but it will do great I think and is a whole lot cheaper

Kid remember be patient. Dont make the same mistake as I did and purchase things that you wont use in the long run. Remember to do lots of research before you purchase. I have some old fluroscent lights not on my tank and now have a nice pc unit.

advice appreciated.I have dont that one other hobbies (computers) , but I really dont think I can afford a PC set up.

Got my sand in today 50lbs caribean, few rubble LR and some live sand. I got the stand set up also (Mr. Obvious) and will do a full before after and future photo shoot

Back
Top Bottom