Going on vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pimp My Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm going to be gone for five days and don't really have anyone to watch my 10 gallon saltwater. It has nothing but some snails and a hermit crab atm but I'm worried about the salinity rising. My house is air conditioned and was wondering if I could leave the ac on and turn off the aquarium lights to prevent evaporation. My SG is at 1.023 right now and I'm wondering if it would prevent enough evaporation until I get back.

I should also mention that the tank will really only be alone for 3 days since I leave on the first and come back on the 5th day

No it's still going to evaporate, you may want to get an auto top off system

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have a lid you can put on the tank? That will greatly reduce evap.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I'm going to be gone for five days and don't really have anyone to watch my 10 gallon saltwater. It has nothing but some snails and a hermit crab atm but I'm worried about the salinity rising. My house is air conditioned and was wondering if I could leave the ac on and turn off the aquarium lights to prevent evaporation. My SG is at 1.023 right now and I'm wondering if it would prevent enough evaporation until I get back.

The same thing happened to me last month. Luckily for me, I had family that came over every 3 days to top off with RO. Is there really no one you can trust? Because besides having someone top off, or using an auto top off, or some form of DIY top off, I can't see any other way. But if you're only going to be gone for 3 days, it should be fine. I have a 10G saltwater as well with hermit crabs, snales and 1 clownfish. He was fine being topped off every 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom