Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes lights off would not be feeding the algae what it needs. I have done this a few times in my freshwater tanks.

My tank was pretty bad with hair algae a couple of days ago, it was to a point that I would see bubbles all over the tank when the lights were on for a while.

I used a tooth brush and brushed off as much as I could and did a big water change. I also cut back an hr on the lights and feed every other day. Ever since then I haven't seen any growth in the algae but then again I just did it recently too.

Lots of possible reasons for hair algae. To much light will accelerate the growth but there is still an underlining cause. A couple of them being over feeding, using tap water because it has phospatea in it, not a sufficient clean up crew and excess waists builds up fueling algae growth.

Try an emerald crab. I had hair algae after my cycle and put an emerald in and all of it was gone in a few days

Emerald crabs do.do wonders but if there is alot they wont dent it much. Get about one astrea snail per 5 gallons the even eat the base of the hair algae so as long as u eliminate what is causing the outbreak they will get rid of all that's left.

Also, test for phosphates and if they are high throw some media in your sump and make sure to use only RO/DI water.

i used to have badddddd GHA, i did this, get a bowl of water ready, manually remove the algae, put it in the bowl, rinse your hands, repeat, do this to get all of the algae you can, and then i bought a mexican turbo snail, they are GHA eating machines, but if they run out of algae they might die so ull have to feed them seaweed if they eat all of your GHA

Speaking of emerald crabs. From what I understood they do not fight among themselves but woke up to a battle royal on my toadstool leather.

FDshoes said:
Speaking of emerald crabs. From what I understood they do not fight among themselves but woke up to a battle royal on my toadstool leather.

Lol. Nice. Mine had territory fights when I gradually introduced more. My largest will even perch himself on a rock upside down and try to catch my tangs as they come out of the cavework. Granted, he's only done it once or twice- but that concerns me more than losing a crab. He's never caught a fish though!!!

Lol o agree but unless ur tang is sick and week an emrald won't be able to harm him... but yes I was so amused this morning woke up the lights were not on yet and I had 3 emeralds on the top of my toadstoll absolutly going at it standing up on hind legs with there claws flying I couldn't help but to laugh.

I had an emerald crab but it died idk y though and I have 2 peppermint shrimp and a yellow tail damsel I only have 1 pound of lr it is in a 2.5 nano until I get a bigger tank

Well that's prb y ur getting hair algae the damsel alone is prb to much of bio load for a 2.5 not positive on that since I have never had a small tank but pretty sure its to much for a 2.5

you can raise magnesium levels. That had been known to kill of bryopsis. I haven't seen too many creatures eat it (at least not on a regular basis).
if you intend to shut the lights off, like suggested, it's going to have to be for about a month, with absolutely no light what so ever entering the tank.
If you have livestock, this is impossible to do.

do you mean Astrea snails? If so, i've never seen one eat bryopsis. I've never seen any snail eat it. Only grapevine talk.

When I had my 46 and had a hair algae outbreak, I used emeralds, Astraea and no lights. The emeralds would snip it to where only a little would remain on the rock. Then yes I could see where the astraea snails would plow over it and leave a clean space. I would do a lights out for 2 days, lights on for 1 and so on for about two weeks. I also would change water every 3-4 days. No I'll effects were seen on corals but all my HA was gone within two weeks. But the algae is not the enemy right now, it's actually helping your tank by consuming excess nutrients. You need to first take care of the excess nutrients. Water changes and removel of the fish is needed. Then the HA should take care of itself. As for the nano, I have a 2.5 fluval spec and would never consider putting a fish in there. I'm having a hard time convincing myself it's ok to have a shrimp in there. Way too much bioload with a fish for sure.

Yes sry astrea snails and I went thru it a while back and they wouldn't leave each rock til it was completly gone actually pretty impressive how fast they ate it.

Back
Top Bottom