Horseshoe Crab Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Tang 2

Aquarium Advice Activist
As any 1 kept a horeshoe crab before?If so what do i have 2 feed him?If you had 1 how did he do in the tank and how big did he get?I heard they eat the sand????????.Any info is appricatted

They need very large tanks.From what I`ve heard they do not do good in the home aquaria. They quicly deplete the sand fauna and usually starve to death. I`ve never had one but this is what others have said when they reported their experience to be. I`m sure there will be others that know might have some real experience stop by soon.

I agree with the above. Beware of LFS!! A LFS here has a very tiny tiny ( about 1 inch) and very cute little horseshoe crab baby for sale, and unfortuantly at a desireable price ( $10!! lol...) These guys get huge ( several feet from what I know) and as stated above, poor survival rate in captivity.

Sadly to say they also too had a morrish idol for sale.

Little do people know how poor survival rate is for both of these guys ( and how HUGE the crab will get). This is why its very important to do research ( as you are, thank you!!! :)

Please do not purchase these since they are becoming more difficult to find in the wild and not suitable for most aquaria.

Please do not purchase these since they are becoming more difficult to find in the wild and not suitable for most aquaria.
Yeah they are cool looking but i dont know any info about then.2 bad they get so big and need a big tank

Absolutely not a good choice for the aquarium. I agree with Innovator about leaving them in the ocean where they belong!!

I agree 100%, they can get to be about 3 feet long. I saw them in a Rippley's Believe it or Not aquarium and they get pretty large. I don't know too much about them, but they seem to be a communityish type crab.

How are they more difficult to find? Everytime i go to Florida, they have a storm, and there are countless Horseshoe carbs on the beaches. If they were hard to find, wouldnt there be few, if any on the beach?

According to researchers they are becoming scarce in the wild and have been for some years. There are professional institutions that refuse to purchase them either. Presumptuously, you are one person walking across a small segment of beach and that accounts to next to nothing in terms of a specific population densities.

That is true, but we stay in St.Petersburg Florida, and 2 years ago, i went to Clear water beach, and the beaches were coverd in them ( i mean COVERD, they had a storm the night before). I went on a boat for my 14th birthday, and we put a net and cought fish ect. and we also caught over 10 Horseshoe crabs plus Spider Crabs. I just figuerd, scarce in the wild, means you dont see any.

Back
Top Bottom