how long should I mix my salt before adding to my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if making small amounts of sw you dont need to let it mix for 24 hours

I let mine sit overnight usually, sometimes just a few hours though. It doesn't really matter as long as all the salt crystals are stirred in.

0o.Kelsey.o0 said:
I let mine sit overnight usually, sometimes just a few hours though. It doesn't really matter as long as all the salt crystals are stirred in.

Im same way with young kids and only limited time to myself I will forget to mix a batch up the day before.. so will mix a batch up and let it sit for an hour like you said as long as its dissolved .. I've done this a number of times with no ill effect what's so ever...

I would say if your doing more than a 10% change you should let it mix overnight. I have mixed 5% changes for only a hour before though.

I would say if your doing more than a 10% change you should let it mix overnight. I have mixed 5% changes for only a hour before though.

yea thats what i meant originally not large water changes but for like small buckets or emergencies you dont need to let it mix for 24 hours as long as the salt is dissolved its all good

I think the whole idea of mixing your salt water and letting it sit for 24 hours is simply to make sure that all of it is thoroughly dissolved and making sure that the salinity level is stable, I'm sure most everyone here has made up a batch of water which looked to be dissolved taken out the trusty refractometer ,taken a reading than a few hours later has gotten a different reading when all that suspended salt ACTUALLY really did dissolve ,..24 hours is just an insurance clause. IMO

Back
Top Bottom