Lionfish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amdninjaboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up a dwarf lionfish to go in my 90 gal tank, fish store fed him frozen mysis in front of me so I knew he was eating.. Since I've had him(sunday) I havent seen him eat at all.. I tried shrimp, frozen squid,mysis with no luck.. Got some guppies last night and he didnt even give them a second look. They were swimming right in front of him. I had a small CUC in the tank, 5 turbo's, 5 conch snail, 12 nassarius, 3 peppermint shrimp and a blood shrimp.. All the shrimp are still there, I only see one conch snail now and maybe 3 or 4 nassarius.. Maybe thats why hes not hungry?? Could he eat a conch snail? I figured the nassarius might be history and the peppermint shrimps but the concs are huge.. Didnt think he had a chance getting those??

He sure doesnt look like hes wasting away to nothing..

Shane.

I doubt he ate one of the snails. Any natural prey like shrimps are free game. You would know if he ate, because his stomach would be swollen. Usually it takes a few days before the lionfish will eat, because it is scared. Do you have any other fish in your tank? Also, have you tried garlic guard? Garlic Guard generally simulates feeding.

I am glade you tried feeding him different types of foods. Have a verity diet will help keep him healthy ^^. Make sure the squid is very small pieces, because they can be chocking hazards in some fish due to is rubbery texture. Squid is really good since it has lots of amino acids ^^.

Ya I figured the peppermint's would be history but all 3 are still there.. No other fish right now, have a yellow tang and a coral beauty in quarantine..
I havent tried garlic on the food yet, I do have the garlic from Kent.. The squid is in the frozen little cubes so its very small.. He hasnt shown interest in anything.. I figured live food would be a given but he didnt even bother.. I wouldnt feed live food often but read that ghost shrimp, mollies or guppies are ok..

Shane.

If your putting the yellow Tang in a 90g, I'd advise against it. They require a 6 foot tank.

The tang will get stressed in a 90 gallon tank. Which can cause problems for your other fish.
Try feeding him again in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom