Live Rock Opinions & Selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R6Chick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just barely started looking at my live rock options and thought I would get some opinions from here.

One of my LFS has Sumatra and Fiji live rock. I had a couple of customers in the store tell me the Sumatra live rock is better.

What are usually the available options in live rock and your opinions on what may be better choices. Please supply reasons why you feel one item is a better choice or a worse choice than others to help me make the most informed choice possible.

Thx! Julz

IMO, there's no real difference just depends on what you're looking to create. Some are more porus, some less, some more flat, some less, some more 'branchy' , some less and on and on.

Mostly it comes down to ow much you want to spend and what you're trying to create.

FWIW.

BTW: GO PHIlLS... Did I mention World Champion Phils?....

Just in case I didn't..

From personal/professional use of various live rock types/structures, I would say there can be a huge difference in long term quality. Fiji is still regarded as the most versatile due to its porousity, adequate weight distribution, and various lifeforms living on/within the rock. It doesn't hurt that it is also one of the least costly. I imagine Indonesian rock is similar. If Marshall Island rock once again becomes available, it tends to be lighter rock than Fiji with interesting shapes and beautiful corraline algae growths, but there is not as much life other than that in comparison. Other varieties tend to be of Pocillopora skeletons, which in months time become very brittle and difficult to work with. Their extremely light weight does not make up for the nature of the rock. When searching for rock, make certain it is not primarily from such coral type skeletals. Atlantic rock is made up of coral skeletons, but dense so it does not break with minimal pressure. The rock shapes are not that intricate and imo more boulder-like. I always recommend using Fiji "Premium" liverock as your main composite build and using decorative pieces such as Marshall Island and/or Vanuatu.

I have all kinds in my tank. I have Fiji, Tonga, and Marshall island LR. A good variety is a good thing IMO

Back
Top Bottom