Longtime freshie going salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raleighfishnerd

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So like it says I have had freshwater tanks for years and now want to do a saltwater. What I have to start with is a 40b, aragonite substrate, fluval canister filters(205&105), small power head, marine salt, hydrometer, heater.
Want to get any help I can on starting this tank up perfectly I am looking to do fish only in this first tank

I wouldn't bother with the canister filter but you'll need a skimmer

Forget the hydrometer they aren't accurate, get a refractometer they aren't too expensive and you won't have problems with salt levels.

I would add dry rock now and live rock after your cycle. I used dr Tim's one and only to cycle my tank. Some people advise against this , but it worked for me.

if you can find some established live rock that will cycle you much faster. get another powerhead/pump. the more circulation, the better.

@woody, why do you advise against a canister? both of my FOWLR tanks have canisters with no issues.

post pics!

Just purely because if not properly maintained they will become a high nitrate factory in the tank obv not so much an issues in fish only but still not great for the tank it's also not really needed in the saltwater set up from what I understand although to be honest I don't use one so you may know more on the issue than I

I've heard about high nitrates, but I never had that issue, but then I maintain the filter regularly too

Just purely because if not properly maintained they will become a high nitrate factory in the tank obv not so much an issues in fish only but still not great for the tank it's also not really needed in the saltwater set up from what I understand although to be honest I don't use one so you may know more on the issue than I
+1, I also recommend staying away from canisters if you can. In general they just require much more maintenance. What are planning on having in the tank? That will set the standard from the start... Also when it comes to cycling, I always try to recommend the shrimp method or the fish less method.

Starting with the canister as it is what I have at the moment. I know i will have to be diligently cleaning it but that's ok for now. Thinking I might be going to build a sump. I have a couple 10g and a 15g lying around the house I could use. No clue on how to do that at the moment but I have seen a few designs on here

Just put in about 25lb of live rock this afternoon. Not only is this my first saltwater but it is the most patient I have ever been setting up a tank?

Oh yeah and got another power head in too. I'll post some pics in a little while

The canister will be fine, just clean it out every week by rinsing all media in tank water during the PWC. i use one on my reef tank, and have no problems with nitrates because I clean it every week and alternate changing out media every week.
I would add all the LR now for the cycle. As said by Deb, the LR will seed the base rock and help the cycle go faster. It's better to get everything in at the start of the cycle so that BB can grow on all of it.
Good luck with the tank! And keep us posted on the progress.

The canister will be fine, just clean it out every week by rinsing all media in tank water during the PWC. i use one on my reef tank, and have no problems with nitrates because I clean it every week and alternate changing out media every week.
I would add all the LR now for the cycle. As said by Deb, the LR will seed the base rock and help the cycle go faster. It's better to get everything in at the start of the cycle so that BB can grow on all of it.
Good luck with the tank! And keep us posted on the progress.

Won't high ammonia level kill the BB on the rock that's already live? I'm curious about this. Thanks

Won't high ammonia level kill the BB on the rock that's already live? I'm curious about this. Thanks

The BB that shows up first eats the ammonia, so it won't hurt it. The BB isnt like the fish; ammonia doesn't burn and hurt it. Ammonia is food to it. If there's more food for it, it'll reproduce more.

If you can afford to put all the rock in at once at the start of he cycle, it's better. Rock is expensive, however, so sometimes people start with some rock and then add more later as finances allow.

Back
Top Bottom