LR question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertfah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got about 50+ pounds of dead rock that I used to keep in my tank. To clean it, I would bleach it clean, then let it sit in water for about a week to get the bleach out and put it back in my tank. This worked great. My question is now that I have a 155g tank and looking to put LR in it, can I use the dead rock in conjunction with LR and will it turn into LR eventually?

I've got about 40+ pounds of LR in my tank now and approx. 200lbs of LS. My water parameters are great except for my calcium which is low at 310, but I currently do not dose. I will start dosing once I order this week from Foster & Smith.

robertfah said:
can I use the dead rock in conjunction with LR and will it turn into LR eventually?
Yes, the dead rock will begin to host the nitrifying bacteria. THe coraline will also spread to is, as well.
robertfah said:
my calcium which is low at 310, but I currently do not dose. I will start dosing once I order this week from Foster & Smith.
Regular PWCs should help replenish your Ca. Remember to get a Ca. test kit, so you don't overdose your tank.

As Scott said your Base rock will turn into LR over time. One thing I wanted to stress though if you bleach something you need to let it completely air dry. Putting it back in water will allow some of the bleach to stay in the rock in areas of poor access for the water. If it drys then the clorine bleach will disapate and be gone. If you are going to treat in water as you say then I would add dechlorinator.

melosu58 said:
As Scott said your Base rock will turn into LR over time. One thing I wanted to stress though if you bleach something you need to let it completely air dry. Putting it back in water will allow some of the bleach to stay in the rock in areas of poor access for the water. If it drys then the clorine bleach will disapate and be gone. If you are going to treat in water as you say then I would add dechlorinator.

Yes, I failed to mention that, but I do use a dechlorinator and I do let it air dry for 2-3 days as well.

Thanks for the tips, it's nice to know I'll be able to salvage most of my old stuff and put it to good use!

robertfah said:
Thanks for the tips, it's nice to know I'll be able to salvage most of my old stuff and put it to good use!

Yes that is good to know. I hope all goes well.

I'm not so sure I see the need to use bleach. I've always just left the rock to air out of any water, turning it onto different sides each day or so to get any stale water out of holes.

melosu58 and roka64 seems fine with it so it's probably OK.. but I certainly don't like putting chemicals on anything that will go into the tank.

If you want to kill whatever is on there you should be able to make salt water with a super super high salinity then dry it out. Seems a bit more natural to me.

flanque said:
I'm not so sure I see the need to use bleach. I've always just left the rock to air out of any water, turning it onto different sides each day or so to get any stale water out of holes.

I agree as I would not use bleach on rock. I was just answering as to what the OP was doing. The only thing I have ever used bleach on is my tanks to clean them before I use it. Something pourus like Rock I would personally not use bleach on. Just let it air dry.

melosu58 said:
flanque said:

I agree as I would not use bleach on rock. I was just answering as to what the OP was doing. The only thing I have ever used bleach on is my tanks to clean them before I use it. Something pourus like Rock I would personally not use bleach on. Just let it air dry.

Ok, let me rephrase that.....I use 1/2 cup of bleach to about 60g of water and let the coral sit in the mix for about 2 days. Then I drail it, fill another container with 40g of fresh water with dechlorniator in it and let the rock sit for another 2-3 days. Finally, I drain that and let the rock air dry for as long as needed before putting back in my tank.

The rock has been sitting dry for about 4 months (since I got my LR I haven't used any of the old stuff) so I know it's completly dried out and should be ready to go. I won't be using that technique anymore seeing as how it'l all be live eventually. :D

Cool! Good luck!
You could also boil the rock, but 4 months in the open air should do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom