Mollys can be put into salt water tanks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes from what I`ve heard this is true. The key is a very slow acclimation process to get them there.

I thought I read they are found naturally in brackish to SW. If I'm remembering correctly, then this would actually seem to be more natural.

I have also heard this. About 2 years ago when SW first peaked my interest, someone (from a LFS) told me that I could use mollys to cycle a SW tank, then acclimate them back over to FW. I'm betting that would lead to their demise.
I also heard that as with all livebearers, you should add some aquarium salt to the tank (not sea salt mix) and this will help to keep them healthy. And....I've also heard of keeping them in a brakish set-up.

Hmm.. this is very interesting for an inexpensive, "easy" way to add some orange colour to one's tank. I'm wondering if I could add several and get a sort of school happening..?

The other question would be compatibility.

As I recall from back when I had Fresh water fish I always had to use A Lot more salt (freshwater salt) for my mollys to reduce and hold off any ich issues.

Its been a long time so I could be off on numbers. but i think I was told 1 tbl spoon per gal for Mollys.

Dont know about what kinda water they found it but being that they could handle that much salt in freshwater I dont find it hard to belive that they could make it in Saltwater :) Just found out bout them in SW today. Kinda cool IMO

As it sits right now 2 sailfin mollies are the only inhabitants of my newly converted SW tank. I just replaced the water in the tank with a low salinity at first then gradually worked it up to sit at 1.024 (went roughly .002 - .008 an increase per change)

Got some pics? I wont believe it until I see it.

Here is a thread that has just been started on the process of acclimating a pair of platinum sailfin mollies to full salt.
(I am thrilled to see folks are browsing the databases too btw!)

Attachments

• sailfinmollies_100.jpg
    sailfinmollies_100.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 33
I'd love to know if they school. I'd be interested in acclimating some orange and white ones then add them to my main tank. I do have a tang, perc clowns and a damsel but hey..

I was reading your tank info and if you have 4 fish in a 46 gallon tank, I would hesitate to add a "school" of anything, but that is my personal opinion. Sailfin Mollies also get to a decent size.

I still say that is too much for your tank. Even if the bioload didnt get you, the territorial issues would.

Back
Top Bottom