Moving sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone found an easy way to move sand (without the water) from one tank to another?
I want to move some of the LS in my nano to my 29 gallon but since I still have crabs, snails and a shrimp in the nano, I don't want to disturb them too much. I just need enough to seed the dead sand that's in the 29 gallon now.

Get a long 2-4 inch diameter PVC pipe and pour the sand down into the tank.

Marc, thanks. But what is the best way to get some of it out of the 5 gallon without disturbing the critters in there? I could scoop it out with a cup but I hate stressing them too much as they will be stressed enough when they move to their bigger home. There is nothing in the 29 gallon now except some LR and dead argonite sand as well as a shrimp. :D

Oh im sorry, I read that wrong. IMO a plastic cup is your best bet.

I agree. I don't really know of a way to remove sand without disturbing the tank a little.

I was thinking there might be a way to siphon the sand out. But, I guess if I'm careful, a cup will work as well.
Thanks much Marc and Fluff.

Yeah, even syphoning is gonna disrupt the tank some. And it's gonna pull more water than sand. I think if your careful, everyone will be ok. :)

Back
Top Bottom