New addition to the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a 6 inch snowflake eel. It is in a 10 gallon tank w/ a blue damsel (who doesn't know what to think of him). Now before you all say that my tank is too small I am moving to a 75-95 gallon tank this summer. Every once in a while the damsel will go up to the eel and pester him a little. What is the best thing to feed him? I got 5 little feeder shrimp today and they are all gone. I saw the damsel eat one and the eel ate one out of my hand, but the rest are gone. What do you guys think?

Feed him silversides, and market shrimp should be good. And i am gonna say something about the tank size and please use it as a future note. Please dont buy the fish tell you have the right tank size. It puts a unbelievable amount of stress on the fish. Also with a tank that small the eel will be looking for a way out so make sure alll exits are covered. Eels are known for being escape artists.

Uhm.. and maybe don't feed the eel with your hand? You just asking for trouble, not matter what size the eel is. They pack a NASTY bite. Whether he does it by mistake, or on purpose because you were invading his space, i hardly think it matters. You need to use prongs to feed him or something that is safe to go in the aquarium and will keep you a good distance from his mouth.. full of sharp jagged teeth. Honestly, i would never try feeding an eel with my hand. The snowflake will also eat any and all crustaceans in your tank, so that pretty much puts a nice limit on the things you can have in your tank.

Also, i'm willing to put money on the fact that your damsel will be gone before you can upgrade them both to a larger tank. Especially in such a small tank, i'm sure he'll find the damsel to be a nice snack. Eels don't exactly have the greatest of eyesight and i've read many stories about eels eating the smaller tankmates by mistaking them for food. It's not very common for them to eat fish, but it has happened before, and keeping it in a 10G tank with another fish won't help any. Just thought you should know if you have any emotional bonds with that blue damsel lol. Also, i really think you should have just waited UNTIL you upgraded your tank before you got the eel. What's the rush?

And as Etunes said, definitely keep that tank covered or it will enevtually find its way out.

I used to feed mine store shrimp when I had it. He was my fovorite. Just one word of advice. The are escape artist. Make sure you have a good top on there so they dont jump.

100_1859.jpg

Back
Top Bottom