New Dwarf Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since my Mombassa Lion died in October, my tank has felt empty without a lion. I bought a Dwarf Zebra Lion last weekend and he is doing well. He has had a couple gut loaded ghost shrimp and he took krill off of a fishing line on the first try!!! He's only about 2 inches long at this point.

I've read before that you shouldn't feed them anything larger than their eye. I don't see how that is possible when they are so small. In nature, don't lions eat things bigger than their eye? Isn't that why they have such large mouths?

I also have the same questions for a dwarf angler I am raising in a seperate tank. His eyes are miniscule so the same question applies.

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 130
I love lions! I purchased a dwarf myself but could never get him to eat anything other that live foods. The only thing i did dislike was when he was perched on a rock and i couldnt see him when sticking my hand in the tank lol

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know this isnt my thread but what are some other alternatives hank cause live mysis are pretty expensive at my LFS

They actually have live Mysis? I've never seen it and there are 3 LFS I go to.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah i live in Louisville,KY and most sale them but they are about $4 a piece

$4 each? How can that be possible? They are tiny.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah its a bit steep. I breed my own brine shrimp feeders. Ive been doing some research into breeding mysis due to the high cost.

The key is to not feed things too big, like was previously discussed. And when I talk about smaller foods like mysis, you can buy frozen mysis that are quite tiny. There are several companies that make such products, be it in cube form or whatever the case. I get them in cubes for my reef tank, thaw one cube at a time and keep it in the fridge as I feed throughout the week/2 weeks with a turkey baster. They are very small, smaller than the fingernail on your pinkie finger. But there are also other options available in such a manner, like brine shrimp, krill...so on.

Back
Top Bottom