Picky Cerith Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slovinator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I ordered a cleaner package from an online site and received trochus snails and cerith snails in the package along with a few other things. The trochus snails took off right away and started doing there job on the aquarium. The cerith snails (26 of them) never moved! I left them in their place for 2 days! No movement. I took half of them and moved them to my nano cube and within an hour they all were munching away on the rocks and glass. The next day I put the rest of the snails in the nano cube and again... they are all moving around. My 75 gallon has turbo snails, trochus snails, an anemone, and other creatures sensitive to water and they are all fine. What's with my Cerith Snails?? All the water parameters are perfect.

Can you post water parameters and what is your salinity. How did you acclimate them?

The substrate is a crushed coral sand substrate. Same substrate in each tank! I use a refractometer for the salinity and it is at 1.023. Nitrates and Nitrites are at 0. Ammonia is at 0. pH is 8.0. They tank is almost a year and half old. All the other critters in the tank are just fine. I was thinking maybe they felt threatened but its strange that all 26 snails woudn't move while the trochus and other snails in my tank don't seem to be bothered one bit.

Btw... all the 26 cerith snails in my nano cube are as happy as can be. I going to start one by one adding them to the big tank to try again.

Oh and I acclimated them by floating the bag for an hour... then slowly added some water every 15-20 minutes till the bag was full. Dumped out half of the bag and did that again.

Back
Top Bottom