Saltwater Aquarium Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nat_a126

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I'm new to the saltwater keeping hobby and I would like to know if my stocking plans are okay. I currently have a 65 gallon tank and I am planning to have a FOWLR tank.

I currently want to get...
-1 or 2 blue/green Chromis
-2 Ocellaris clownfish
-1 Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish
-1 One Spot Foxface or a Yellow Tang
-Snails and urchins
(If any fish grows too large, I'm planning to give him away to someone with a larger tank)

My questions pretty much are
-Is this stock okay?
-Will the Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish eat the blue/green Chromis or clownfish?
-How much and how many times do I feed the lion fish? I am planning to feed the other fish every other day.
-Will the lion fish eat the snails/urchins?
-Should I add the lion fish or possibly the yellow tang last?
-And any other advice you're willing to tell me :thanks:

The lion will eat the clowns and chromis, the yellow needs a 90g minimum so just dont get it. It will cause to many problems. How about a snowflake moray? They are good tank mates for the fuzzy dwarf lions. Also a hawkfish might be good. The lion should be fed silver sides or live shrimp 3 times a week, they are very messy eaters so have a sump with a triple the tank volume skimmer (180g skimmer and good quality)

The only thing is that the eel would eat the snails, but I'm not sure about the urchins.
How can I clean the waste or what would eat the waste on the sand?

The only thing is that the eel would eat the snails, but I'm not sure about the urchins.
How can I clean the waste or what would eat the waste on the sand?

No invert eats fish poop. The eel wouldnt be able to eat snails. So your ok with them.

You could probably do maroon clowns or clarkiis with the lion. Just none of the smaller ones, they would get eaten.

Thank you Fishman,
But I think I'll just scratch the whole lion fish idea.

Is it possible to have a puffer in there with a ocellaris clownfish? Possibly a porcupine or valentini? I heard if they die and you don't take them out fast enough, their poison can nuke your tank. Have you had any experience with them? And would they eat snails/ urchins?

Different people have told me very different things. Anyways, thanks for all your great information though :lol:

Thank you Fishman,
But I think I'll just scratch the whole lion fish idea.

Is it possible to have a puffer in there with a ocellaris clownfish? Possibly a porcupine or valentini? I heard if they die and you don't take them out fast enough, their poison can nuke your tank. Have you had any experience with them? And would they eat snails/ urchins?

Different people have told me very different things. Anyways, thanks for all your great information though :lol:

Infact i have a valentini. Ive had him for ever now, he was my 2nd saltwater fish. He has never attacked any of my fish. But he had eaten 15 hermit crabs and 2 turbo snails. Hes also picked at my other snails but has never killed them. Just my 2 big turbos. Hes never messed with ether of my urchins, ive got a giant snowball urchin and a little tuxedo urchin. Ive had the snowball since ive had the puffer. Added the tux 3-4 months ago. Heres a pic of my puffer

image-3104863056.jpg

It's adorable! I think I'll get him. Should I add him last? And how do you grind down his teeth and what do you feed him?
Sorry for asking all these questions, I just would really love to hear from people that are experienced!

And can it nuke your tank when it dies and you don't take it out fast enough?

It's adorable! I think I'll get him. Should I add him last? And how do you grind down his teeth and what do you feed him?
Sorry for asking all these questions, I just would really love to hear from people that are experienced!

I hand feed him krill and then throw it away once hes lost intrest. Doesnt really matter when you add them. Its ok se all ask questions!

Just wanted to throw in that you should never provoke the puffer to puff up, it severley stresses them and in some cases leads to death, and then death of your tank. They shouldnt be exposed to air also. Shen you feed the, their bellys will Blow up and become fat, and once they are done digesting it their stomachs will sink. Btw that pic i posted was 2-3 months ago, hes grown bigger now. If you want i can show you a pic of what it looks like when hes eaten and his bellys fat.

Yes that would be great :) how many krill should I feed him if I were to feed my tank every other day? And yes a man told me that they can have a heart attack if they puff up and it's used as a last resort.

After you acclimate it (I would be using the drip method) how can you transfer him to the tank with out him touching air and not letting the fish store water get in your tank? I heard grabbing them in nets is a horrible idea and I guess air would also be hitting him or her.

Yes that would be great :) how many krill should I feed him if I were to feed my tank every other day? And yes a man told me that they can have a heart attack if they puff up and it's used as a last resort.

After you acclimate it (I would be using the drip method) how can you transfer him to the tank with out him touching air and not letting the fish store water get in your tank? I heard grabbing them in nets is a horrible idea and I guess air would also be hitting him or her.

I feed him krill every 2 weeks, i use tetra jumbo krill. Then i feed him 1/4 a block of emerald entree, brine shrimp, or LRS (the local food mix of a bunch of different fish and stuff, best frozen in the east cost. Runs about 20$ for 16oz bag) that also feeds my other 4 fish in his 37g home.

If you have other fish that eat krill than maybe 2-3 times a week. Ether get tongs or hand feed them to make sure it doesnt get caught in the rocks and rot.

TBH when i got him i was a noob so i picked him up in my hand and put him in the tank, but hes healthy and happy so i guess i was lucky. :hide:

You can get a plastic container and then scoop him up, then poor as much of the LFS store water down the drain, then just stick him in the tank with the minimal amount of LFS water into the tank.

Yes I used to work at a pet store and one came in bad from shipping. It went in the tank died and killed nothing else. Same goes for cow and box fish. They can but it is insanely unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom