Starting from scratch..(almost)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redchick2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi fishy folk...
As reported before, I have a 10g that is wayyyyy too small. All the creatures in it seem to be thriving, but it's only been running for 10 or 12 weeks. I am starting a new tank (55g) and desperately need advice. At this point I have the glass and a stand. I will be re-using the protein skimmer in my small tank. I plan on a fish only (but might try coral later on) My next purchase will be the hood/lights. What output light is optimum for fish (and a pre-existing condy)? Background- black paint or store-bought tape on? Next I will get the filter. Do I need a bio wheel if I use a canister filter? Are some canisters better than others? Next the sand and more live rock. How long do I let it run before I move my existing guys to the new home? As of now I have the condy, 2 humbugs, a domino and a dragonet. (He is getting fat on vitamin encrusted frozen brine shrimp, by the way) For cleaners, I have a peppermint shrimp, chocolate chip star ( I know he'll have to go if I try corals) 2 blue leg hermits, and a poops-a-lot turban snail. Will I need additional cleaners in a 55g? I plan on eventually adding these 6 fish: 2 more humbugs as they like to school, a yellow tang, some type of blenny, a pygmy angel, and the small spotted puffer. Is this a wise choice in fish? Any & all advise is appreciated.
atttached is pics of 10g.
thanks,
Renes

Attachments

• DSCF0393.jpg
    DSCF0393.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0382.jpg
    DSCF0382.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF0406.jpg
    DSCF0406.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0407.jpg
    DSCF0407.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 99
I would forgo the hood, as it can inhibit O2 exchange and trap heat. This is the light I currently have on my 55 (it should be enough for what you have, the 216W one):
T-5 Aquarium Lighting: Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights
This is what I plan on getting:
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures
Because the legs aren't as flimsy and it has contoured reflectors for each bulb.
Since you have some mean damsels, you may want to cycle your 55 and add the fish you want to add and then introduce the damsels last. The tang won't fly in a 55 (they need lot of swimming room).
You will definitely want to add more puffer food...errr...inverts for cleaning, in the 55.

Back
Top Bottom