sump and upgrading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyriksmommy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! upgrading from a 46 gallon to a 75 gallon and will be setting up a 29 gallon sump as well. My question is should I cycle my sump for a while before I make the switch ? I was just going to transfer everything over to the new tank and it'd be like doing a 45% water change but because I have the sump will it mess everything up?

Also, what is the best media to put in the sump? Thanks!!!

Hello! upgrading from a 46 gallon to a 75 gallon and will be setting up a 29 gallon sump as well. My question is should I cycle my sump for a while before I make the switch ? I was just going to transfer everything over to the new tank and it'd be like doing a 45% water change but because I have the sump will it mess everything up?

Also, what is the best media to put in the sump? Thanks!!!

So you're going from a 46 gal WITHOUT a sump to a 75 gal w/ a sump?? Do you have live rock appropriate for the 46 gal but will add base rock to bring it up to 75 gal appropriate amount of rock? Then I think you'd be fine to place all that in the new tank & move your stock immediately, no? It should be an appropriately cycled tank, just test daily to make sure everything adjusted well. Will you be using fresh sand/substrate?

So far, I like filter sock media & just live rock in the sump in my 75 gal but I haven't had it long. It used to have bio balls & it is doing so much better on live rock & the filter sock. I plan to add light & Chaeto for extra NitrAte removal. Good luck!! HTH!

use prime to destress the fish and make sure parameters are correct but you are fine to just add the fish if all those things check out also i use chemi-pure elite as my filter media i also use deep blue nitrate remover pads they are amazing hope this helps and good luck

Back
Top Bottom