Todd's 60g FOWLR Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is a standard glass 60g that I am setting up for my oldest son (13th b-day present). The initial plan is to run it with a CPR Bak-Pak hang-on skimmer and run a 35g acrylic QT/Holding tank underneath for about a year and then convert that into a sump/refugium. The QT will be four all four tanks we currently run until most are relatively full. It is already drilled and plugged, so hopefully an easy conversion when the time comes.

I just scored a barely used 4' WavePoint HO T5 (4 bulbs) for $39. Massive overkill for a FOWLR, but I could not pass on the deal and he wants a clown pair with a Nem or two down the road, so this should work.

His eventual stock list includes:
- Flame Angel
- Blue Spot Puffer
- Snowflake Eel
- Marine Betta
- pair of clowns

I'm sure we will get another fish or two but not sure at this point what those will be.

I'm hoping to get sand and rock in two weeks, so will update then...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The eel may eat the clowns and you want to check compatibility of the rest of them.

I'm fairly sure the fish will be okay with one another, as they are all kinda fish that can hold their own. The eel will be small when we get it and it's probably going to be some time before it's big enough to get a clown in it's mouth. I've got a 240, so when it gets big enough for concern, it will likely go in there.

Sounds good just make sure u start off with large clowns

Just target feed the eel at night and he shouldn't bother fish. They naturally feed on inverts and will normally only go after fish when they feel they have to. That being said, all fish have different personalities.

I have not updated this for a while, but to catch it all up quick...have a massive outbreak of Cyanobacteria and added two fish...
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2015-06/4CC35B40-1F6D-46CA-9AE3-42A7B0DA6390.jpg
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2015-07/06F71618-0108-4D7D-BEB6-DF732AFA774F.jpg

The cyano is stringy and inches long as well as over a lot of rock. I added another powerhead and have started feeding less frequently and plan to do a massive clean up tomorrow. I'm also going to convert the QT underneath to a sump/refugium soon. It is too difficult for to see the fish, so I think I will just get a 20 from Petco and use that for QT.

Wow, I just realized that I had not updated this for a while. So...the Cyanobacteria is gone...I added a Tomini Tang about six weeks ago and a Coral Beauty a couple weeks ago...and who would have guessed? Apparently snowflake eels are smart enough to get from your tank into a CPR hang-on skimmer cup but are not smart enough to get back out.

I'm probably going to convert the QT tank I have underneath to a sump/refugium early next year.

Back
Top Bottom