water/salt mixing problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeasonScreamer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am rather new to the saltwater aquarium and I have a question, I am mixing the salt and RO/DI water with a powerhead in a 29 gallon storage bin for 24 hours without a cover, why am I getting a high ammonia reading? Any help would be greatly appreciated

First what tests are you using and secondly how long have the cartridges in your Ro/Di been in use since your last replacement

I am using an API liquid test for the ammonia and the filters for the RO/DI unit were changed a week ago

is the make up water testing ammonia or the aquarium? what kind of container? is it food grade? how old is the tank?

the make up water is testing high ammonia and the container is just a plastic storage bin that has been rinsed out and only used now

I've been using the right test, I bought a new powerhead and am using a bucket that only has been used for the salt, the ro/di that I tested as fresh before adding salt is reading 0 for ammonia, but after I added salt it jumped on the Saltwater test to .5 in ammonia. I am going to let it mix overnight and recheck the ammonia in the morning, but I keep getting .5 readings or higher. Just don't understand the issue

I think I would contact the company that made the salt and have them test it. Either way i think i would switch salts or atleast try a different batch

Have a hard time believing that it is the salt. But what kind are you using?
I would assume that it would be coming from your water. You just replaced the filters for your RO/DI unit? What kind of filters?

I replaced all the filters (10 micron sediment, 5 micron coconut carbon black, 1 micron coconut black and DI) I've tested the water after creating the RO/DI and it's been reading 0 ammonia. Thought it may have been the powerhead as it was used in a tank previously, so I bought a new power head, the readings are much better, but still am getting about a .5 reading. I'm using Reef Crystals salt and I bought a new bucket of it to see if I just got a bad batch, but I have read that people have had some ammonia readings with reef crystals at .25, but mine is higher which is why I'm wondering if there is something else I may be doing wrong.

Do you have a friend you could ask to use their ammo test to see if perhaps yours is slightly off..I know its a long shot since you've gotten a 0 reading with it on RO water but I can't think of nothing else...

Gotten the ammonia to come down to .25 in my mixup using Reef Crystals that I have read can do that on mix up then goes away when added to a mature aquarium, which seems to be the case, tank ammonia has maintained 0 so it just must be the salt. Thanks for all the ideas and comments.

Back
Top Bottom