Yellow Damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterNuB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I anyone experiencing a problem with their yellow damsels being too aggressive. I know they're aggressive but mine killed 3 of my blue damsels and I've notice that they're messing with my clowns. Please let me know, because if this continues I will remove them from my tank. Thanks

image-1271671208.jpg

Most damsels are evil... And very hard to catch. Most people who do fish in cycles remove them
after their tank has completed cycling...

Yep removing them tomorrow. Thx for you imput. My blue ones seemed pretty calm and relaxed. Now I know it was because they were being tortured.

Yeah I won't buy anymore. What would you say about adding a couple of the black clowns?? I already have 2 of the reg.

That's a no-go. Clowns are in 2's only. No more than that... They will pair up and kill the less dominant pair.

Benamayer said:
That's a no-go. Clowns are in 2's only. No more than that... They will pair up and kill the less dominant pair.

+1...and agrees, except for clowns, Damsels are WAY AGGRESSIVE and I think you will find them to be a problem later! Even clowns can be territorial but at least they won't chase down everything in your tank. Well, unless you get a tomato clown. I had one a loooong time ago for a few days. Watched him terrorize my other fish and got rid of him quick! It's too bad damsels are like that. The blue ones have a beautiful color!

I know that are very colorful. Being new to the scene I listened to my lfs and bought 5 damsels because they said that they were great starter fish. They forgot to say how territorial they were. Going to remove them today. Just not too sure of what to add. Maybe a couple Pseudocromies. Having a 135g tank I'm sure I have a lot of options.

Clown goby, anthias, maybe an angel of some kind.. Yea tank that big lots of options :cool:

SaltwaterNuB said:
I know that are very colorful. Being new to the scene I listened to my lfs and bought 5 damsels because they said that they were great starter fish. They forgot to say how territorial they were. Going to remove them today. Just not too sure of what to add. Maybe a couple Pseudocromies. Having a 135g tank I'm sure I have a lot of options.

Haha! With 135 gallons you have a TON of choices! Before you buy anything decide if you will want to add corals. If you do, make sure you go with reef safe fish. Some are not and once you add them they are hard to catch! I will tell you that a lot of the dwarf angels live longer and do better in a reef tank. I read that just a few months ago as I am going to turn my tank into a reef tank. There is debate as to whether they nip at corals. Some have had major issues and others have none. Coral beauty's and flame angels are beautiful fish but really should be added last or close to last. You could get a regal tang. Just make sure you quarantine anything going in because once you introduce parasites it's a tough road to go down getting rid of them in your tank. :)

Thanks, I will take all of that into consideration. As of right now I plan on staying with fish only. I don't quite think I will have time to care for coral on top of all the other things that come with having a salt water tank.

Wanted to get some imput- I would like to get a puffer, what kind...? And also a lion fish...? Thought please.

Back
Top Bottom