75g new saltwater set up-Any Advise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobz38

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am new to Aquarium Advice. I just set up a new saltwater tank for fish only a week ago, any advise as to what kind and how many fish I should put in it. My kids definatly want a Nimo fish.

please wait for your cycle to be complete before adding fish (there are several good posts on this subject on here). I would suggest doing a search on "stocking list" now that they fixed the search feature. that would help alot also a clown (nemo) is a great fish and would work but i would buy a mated pair. If i had to guess it will be at least three more weeks before you should add fish, so you have plenty of time to research stocking list. Also I wouldnt take any advice from anyone (including me) without further research. I am fairly new to SW and have learned ALOT from this forum. Just use the search feature and there are tons of info on here. I personaly have a 75 gallon and right now i have a Maroon clown and a yellow tang. One thing saltwater tanks REQUIRE is patience nothing good happens quickly in saltwater. Also buy a test kit if you do not have one already stay away from the test strips. the basic tests are Amonia, nitrites, nitrates, and PH. Some LFS will test it for you. also we need more info to help you better, like how much live rock you have, are you running a protien skimmer, sump, or refuge? And one finale thing that is a MUST is pictures. We love em even of empty tanks lol. Im sure the more experienced reefers on here will chime in if i got something wrong and with more advice. WELCOME to AA

Hello and Thanks for responding. Well the equipment I have now use to run a fresh water tank we had a few years back so right now I have running a rena canister, a heater of course and one power jet power head hanging on top. I know I need to probably get a couple more power heads for the bottom. As far as rocks I brought about 40lbs of rock and about 5lbs of live rock sitting on 50lbs of caribean sand. Lighting I have a regular flouresent 40w light strip. I have done some research and some people say that for just saltwater fish It's not a must to have a protein skimmer? As far as lighting I do want to upgrade to a more powerful light for looks. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance.

Welcome Bobz. Your gonna need better lights than that if your gonna have corals. Also you don't need a protein skimmer, I don't have one. But I would recommend one. :) Definately get more Powerheads, thats a good idea. As redneck says, 3 weeks at least. Do you have any test kits? If so only put fish in when the Ammonia and NitrItes are at 0. Oscellaris Clownfish (Nemo) are great fish. :) A good first fish also because they are rather tough. As redneck also says though, research first, buy second. No impulse buys. They can lead to disaster. Hope we help you through and we look forward to the pictures! :D

Back
Top Bottom