Accidental Hobbyist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mplsdjw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to the forum so I thought I would say "hi".
Came to the hobby purely on accident. I never had thought much about keeping fish until my 9 yr. old daughter came running up to me excitedly at her school fair showing me the goldfish she had won.
Next thing you know we are off to the big box pet store to get the stuff needed to house the fish. After buying a too small tank and some magical pills that were instantly supposed to make the water suitable for the fish we went home to set it up (cycling was never mentioned at the big box store).
Anyways we set up the tank. After an agonizing day or too of watching the goldfish gasping for air at the top of the tank they finally succumbed.
After consoling my distraught daughter I vowed to find out as much as I could about taking care of fish so I could show her daddy wasn't a "fish killer".
(IMHO, offering goldfish as prizes in games of chance is animal cruelty!)
I stumbled on this forum after doing research on the internet about starting a fish tank. I came upon a new concept "fishless cycling", that I thought I needed to know about. That's where I found this forum and the "Complete Guide to Fishless Cycling."
So after a lot of research we found some fish that were more appropriate for a 10 gallon tank and off we went.
Now I am totally hooked on the hobby. I am fascinated by all of the different elements that go into it; water chemistry, biology, botany, etc.
So we have been successful in cycling our tank and providing a suitable home for our fish.
After plying my wife with some tasteful jewelry, she let me get a 75 gallon tank. I am in the process of getting it put together.
This forum has been invaluable in gaining so much information I look for to using it as a resource for along time. Thanks to everyone who participates.

PS - I haven't told my wife about Multiple Tank Syndrome yet!

Welcome to the forum! Tanks will be your life in no time. 75 gallons is an awesome size to start with!

Welcome aboard! Mts can get pretty severe, I've got about 7 tanks in my house, can't wait to see what you put in that 70 gallon ;)
Maybe you could post a build thread, and if you have any questions, we are happy to help!

Sent via echolocation

75 Gallon Build

I'm excited about putting together the 75 gallon tank.
My interest goes to smaller schooling fish, so I'm thinking of a primarily Cyprinids - barbs, rasboras and danios, with maybe some loaches for some action on the bottom of the tank.
I'm waiting on some cool Manzanita driftwood to arrive.
I'll definitely start a thread once I starting putting it together.

If your looking into loaches. Sinibotia is really good with loach suggestions, but I am looking forward to see that thread ;)

Sent via echolocation

I have small fish as well, celestial pearl danio and ember tetra. Kuhli loaches and dojo loaches get along a treat. They all play in bubbles together ?

I can also recommend not albino corydoras. Albinos are too active and run over the smaller fish, freaking them out.

Back
Top Bottom