Electric yellow ciclids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaypao

Aquarium Advice Newbie
20170827_103245.jpg

Hello Everyone! First, i'm so happy that i found this app so I can get some information as well as to share my electric cyclids with everyone.

I'm May, i just set up a a 20 gal. tank 3 days ago. I have 12 electric yellow ciclids and a bumblebee on it. I am planning to put more bumblebee. I'm just not sure if it will be too crowded if i will do that. Anyways, just wish you all the best.

A 20 gallon with 12 electric yellow cichlids, plus a bumblebee cichlid? That's definitely overcrowded. Bumblebees can get to a decent size and are very aggressive. I speak from experience here. If I'm not mistaken, electric yellows are rather timid and stay rather small, although the exact size eludes me currently. In any case, twelve is far too many in a tank of such size. I would look at rehoming several of them, including the bumblebee.

You also said you sat the 20 gallon up only 3 days ago. That's not enough time for your tank to efficiently cycle. I would expect some large spikes in ammonia and nitrite, and I would begin doing large daily water changes. 50% would likely be sufficient, depending on how high your levels are. Do you have a test kit? If not, I'd recommend getting a liquid test kit, as they're much more accurate and last a lot longer than the strips.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum! We're all glad to help in any way we can.

That's a disaster waiting to happen. Take them all back and research proper care and tank setup

^^^^ What they said.

The bumblebee is too aggressive to be with the yellow labs.

A dozen yellow labs would need at minimum a 55g tank by themselves.

Also, like superpeytonm stated, if your tank isn't cycled you need to start testing the water right away. If they are not already. those fish will be swimming in ammonia soup soon.

If you don't have a testing kit handy I would be doing daily 50-75% water changes.

Thank you all for the advice. I will do that right away.

Back
Top Bottom