First Post - Sacramento, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tedbscott

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm Ted from Sacramento, CA. I've been dealing with my Fluval Spec V now for about a year and a half. I've never lost any fish (except one escape artist that I found on the floor). I'm guilty of going all-in on high lighting. I've been driving myself crazy with algae and other problems with my small Fluval Spec V tank. Even the non-adjustable light that came with the tank is way too bright. It can look cool at first, but then the algae kicks in and I don't think the fish really dig being in such bright conditions either.

I've dropped the intensity of the white light down to 50%, Red 70%, Green 70%, and Blue 50%. I came to this combination by picking up bits and pieces of info about LED lighting combinations and intensities. But to be honest, it's next to impossible to find out anything that is definitive on the subject of light intensity or LED combinations... even from Fluval.

What I've ended up doing is noticing how intense the lighting is on tanks at good aquarium stores. They are almost always very subdued. Maybe that is to keep plants that they want to sell from growing too fast as they are waiting to be sold.
One other thing that I did that I think added to my problems was a very cool looking reflective back on my tank. I didn't think of it at first, but I was not only using intense lighting, but I was also amplifying it with the reflection.
So at this point, I have started over a bit. I took off the reflective back, lowered the intensity of the lighting and replanted. I have a kind of a row of Cardinalis Roseafolia along the back that I want to fill in and hide the heater, etc. I have another row of Repens along the front, a Java fern over to the right and an Annubis nano to the left - hopefully giving it a bit less light until the other plants give it some natural shade.
I only have 4 fish. 2 Zebra Danios and 2 Redfin Neons.
I also am dosing with pressurized CO2, root tabs, Flourish and I'm going to start with some Flourish Iron for the Cardinalis (they say they like the Iron and it will make there red color pop more.
I'm hoping that I'm on my way now to a healthy tank that I can enjoy more and fuss over less. Once I can really get to the point where I feel like I know how to adjust to certain conditions and not just guessing, I'm going to get a bigger tank. I feel like a bigger tank is more forgiving than these small nano tanks.

Attachments

• Tank-2_1_2020.jpg
    Tank-2_1_2020.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 55
Update to this post. Im transitioning to another tank so I wanted to just keep it running and safe for my fish and plants while wy other tank is cycling. Well, I ended up lowering the intensity of my Fluval Aquasky 380 mm to 8% light intensity for all colors.
The first thing I noticed is that it isn't even that dark for my little fluval specV. The next thing I noticed is that even the really slow-growing plants stopped having algae problems. I can't believe that it took going to 8% light intensity to get this tank to finally be in some kind of balance without algae growth. I have learned my lesson.

Here's a pic of my new Fluval Spec 16 Gallon aquarium. I can tell already that a bigger aquarium is going to be easier to maintain than a small one.
I'm planting the hell out of it in an effort to stop any algae issues.
I still have just the two zebra danios and two redfin tetras. I want to get a couple of Nerite snails and maybe 3 Honey Gouramis. I'm interested to hear if people think my tank is big enough for that.
Here's a pic too.

Back
Top Bottom